Storage??

Business By Curtsmin24 Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm by CakeMakar

Curtsmin24 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 12

Okay so I know there are different storage bins out there, but I need a big one to store a lot of my cake decorating stuff and Travel with them. Some of you who know me know that I am going to pastry school and some of you that have gone to school know that you have a lot of stuff to carry and those kit bags they give are garbage. I need to be able to carry various luster dusts, tips, cutters and knives without damaging them. Price is not an issue, so if you find anything online or know where I can find something within these wierd guidelines please post a link.

P.S. I looked at the wilton one and my knives don't fit in them so thats a no go. Thanks ladies and gents!!

11 replies
vanillabean Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 12

I use a fishing tackle box! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 12

Definitely tackle box. If you have a sportsman's store (Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc.) near you, there are TONS of styles to choose from.

Toolboxes from Lowe's or Home Depot are good choices, too.

Marci Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 12

I use a toolbox - one with little bins in the top for the small stuff. Then I got a piece of spongy foam (almost like a dish sponge material) and cut slits in it for my knives to rest in without rubbing on each other. The other possibility is to use knife guards so you don't cut yourself reaching in. Just remember to measure you longest knife before you go shopping!

Good luck! marci

loriemoms Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #5 of 12

If you dont mind spending the money, I bought a hair dressers travel bag! It is WONDERFUL. It has several drawers that are very deep and you can add and subtract compartments with these dividers. It also has side pockets and a big storage unit on the very top (I put containers of buttercream in there when I do my deliveries...) It is on wheels like a suitcase and has the handle that pulls out like a suitcase.

Curtsmin24 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #6 of 12

I just looked at some tackle boxes and they are NICE!!!! Loriemoms if it has wheels thats even better. Where did you get that at?

Also, I love the idea of the foam for the knives but I do have the sleeves for most of them so I won't need that idea yet. Thanks everyone!!

sweetcakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 12

i too would suggest the 'train case' or professional make up box on wheels. i know several professional decorators had them when they visited the cake hospital while i was working it at an ICES convention. not cheap, but smart looking, functional and more so professional.

hummingbird59 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 12

I have noticed a bag at Hobby Lobby similar to the suitcase with wheels and extending handle. It was about $90, but I would love to have one. It had several pockets and a large inside compartment. It is on my "one of these days" list since we live on a fixed income.

Donnagardner Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 12

Sears sells a roll around tool box (plastic) made by craftsman that works great for these things. I bought mine on sale a few years ago for about $30.
The one I see now is calles the Craftsman Rolling Tool Case. HTH

CakeMakar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

If you dont mind spending the money, I bought a hair dressers travel bag! It is WONDERFUL. It has several drawers that are very deep and you can add and subtract compartments with these dividers. It also has side pockets and a big storage unit on the very top (I put containers of buttercream in there when I do my deliveries...) It is on wheels like a suitcase and has the handle that pulls out like a suitcase.

Can you link us to one on the net or take a picture of yours? All I can find is ones with expanding trays. I found one with drawers, but that was about all it had.
Thanks.

loriemoms Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 12

Sure..its made by a company called Seya. Paid about 150 bucks for it, but its been worth it..
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

CakeMakar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, looks nice. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%