How Do You Make Individual Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By wardshar Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 1:05am by all4cake

wardshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wardshar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 14

With small square cakes (not cup cakes but same size) I an understand that you just cut a large slab of cake into the required size but what about round ones? Do you cut using a cutter or use small, say 2 inch tins and then marzipan and ice separately? And do you place these small 2 inch cakes all on boards???

Thanks!!

13 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 14

Magic line sells a mini cake pan set. You can either get a 2" and 3" together pan or a 2", 3" 4" set. It runs about 16.00

Stephanie

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 14

I have heard of people using small cans - like the size of a tuna can

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 14

Which is a better use of your time-- greasing, filling, baking, and de-panning dozens of small pans, or cutting from one large cake?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 14

If you are making any quantity I recommend you use graduated cookie cutters cutting into frozen cake--that's baked short in height--baked in a sheet pan for example.

I mean consider washing that itty bitty pan and going nuts greasing it and my knees get weak and I cahhn't breathe--I have so little patience left--don't mind me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #6 of 14

Cutting from a larger cake is WAY easier.. get a set of biscuit cutters and it goes really quick and there's only one pan to clean and you can turn the scraps into cake truffles if you want.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

If you are making any quantity I recommend you use graduated cookie cutters cutting into frozen cake--that's baked short in height--baked in a sheet pan for example.

I mean consider washing that itty bitty pan and going nuts greasing it and my knees get weak and I cahhn't breathe--I have so little patience left--don't mind me.

Heee heee heee...............sorry, I have nothing of value to add I just think K8's too dang funny.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #8 of 14

Those little cakes are a tremendous amount of time and work so if you are doing them for a customer...friend....I would charge the heck out of them!!! Some have charged as much as $10.00 each cake. When you do them you will see why.icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #9 of 14

I start mini cakes at $20 per cake.. that's single tier. They are an incredible pain in the ass.

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #10 of 14

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #11 of 14

I cut mine from a large sheet cake as well...although I charge between 10,000 to a couple of mill to do them. Never again. They aren't really HARD, they are just so time consuming!!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJC

sells the Alan Silverwood multi-cake pans that come in 2 and 2.5 inch diameter . . .

<thud>

FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #13 of 14

Ditto K8.. icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJC

sells the Alan Silverwood multi-cake pans that come in 2 and 2.5 inch diameter . . .

<thud>

Where's the smelling salts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%