Fruit Roll Ups On Buttercream...do They Hold Up?

Decorating By levinea Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 1:15pm by KHalstead

levinea Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 5

A friend asked me to do a replica of my Margaritaville cake for a get-together next month, but wants me to do all the accents in fruit roll ups instead of fondant. I bought a box this morning and played with one at lunch. It was easy to cut out a palm tree shape, but it now seems to be curling up on the ends.

Have any of you put fruit roll ups on buttercream? Did they hold up or look funny after a few hours? If I tried to pipe buttcream dots or lines on the fruit roll up, do you think it would stick?

If these don't work, my backup plan is to use the organic "fruit leather" bars because they are a little thicker, but then my colors won't be as bright.

4 replies
smbegg Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 5

I used fruit roll ups on my Elmo cake (for Dorothy and the seaweed) It was on there overnight and there was not a problem! They were a little tricky to stick though. You might need to "glue them" or spritz with water!

Stephanie

ccarroca Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 5

I also made a bday cake where I needed seaweed and used them and not a problem. My buttercream crusted well so maybe that is what held them in place. Mine didnt bleed. Decorated hours earlier. See my pic for it.

levinea Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks ladies, will proceed with the fruit roll ups!

KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 5

I also have used them for seaweed and because I let my icing crust before I do a final smoothing before adding the details i did have to brush the back of the fruit roll up with water but it stuck beautifully, no troubles and no b leeding of any kind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%