3" Pan Crisis

Decorating By Melvira Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm by TooMuchCake

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 7

I bought 2 sheet pans from Fat Daddios that are 3" deep. So far, I am ready to melt one of them down and turn it into buckshot so I can shoot the other one!! HOW DO I MAKE THEM WORK???

I used the flower nail trick, but it doesn't matter... that cake is going to sink in the middle every time. What is the deal? I know a lot of people use these pans successfully, so what's the secret? I don't want to go back to 2" sheet cakes... they just seem so short... someone help me get these pieces of expensive junk to work, please?!?! icon_cry.gif (No, it's not Fat Daddios fault... it's me... I haven't figured them out yet!)

6 replies
mamacc Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 7

Just bake longer!! Are you using strips too? I find it a little harder to tell when 3" cakes are done b/c they feel done to the touch but then not cooked in the middle.

MBHazel Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 7

I use the 3" sheet cake pans with a pound cake recipe. I always put a heat core in the middle. I fill in the hole with icing.

Hazel

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not using baking strips, but I am baking longer. A looooong time! icon_rolleyes.gif I guess I just need to work on 'practicing' when I'm not selling the cake. I got myself all upset. icon_cry.gif I feel better now that I was able to trim it down and salvage it. It's not as tall as I wanted, but it's still taller than a regular sheet pan. Thanks for the input both of you, I will try these ideas when I'm on 'my time' you know? thumbs_up.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 7

There was a thread here a while back about turning the oven temps way down for the FD pans.... I wish I could remember what exactly it was. 315?? And you have to bake longer, obviously, since the oven is lower. Anyway, have you tried turning the oven way down?

OT, will you be in Tulsa this weekend?

Deanna

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 7

Hey Deanna! Yah, I turned the oven down to almost 300. I will keep working on it, there has to be some magical combination. icon_rolleyes.gif

UNfortunately with the new baby and my health problems since the birth I won't be making it to Tulsa this weekend. Man, I wish I were going to be there. It would be so fun to hang out again! icon_cry.gif Don't have TOO much fun without me.

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 7

I'm sorry to hear you can't go. I'm not going either. So you and I can sit here at home eating cake trimmings and pouting and wondering how every thing's going. Michele Foster lives two towns over from me, and she's taking my entries with her. I got 5 of them done and tonight we'll see what-all she can fit in her vehicle...

Bummer about the pans. I'm largely happy with my FDs, but I admit none of them are the taller ones.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%