Help! Need Tips On How To Frost A Cake Evenly!

Decorating By BakingBeezie Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm by tiggy2

BakingBeezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingBeezie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 17

Hi there! I am new to baking, I'm super pro at just squirting some frosting onto a cupcake but I am epicly lost on how to evenly frost a sheet cake! I've tried 3 different times and still can not figure out how anyone gets thier frosting soo soomth. I'm not trying to frost anything complicated just as single layer sheet cake. Pls help any tips would be highly appreciated, I just want to have a decent looking cake at my sister and laws baby shower..
Thanks!

16 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 17

Melvira's roller method works very well and is easy to do. Here's a link to the articl http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html
Just be sure you get a high density roller as no other will work. Also use very light pressure or you will move the frosting around. Good Luck!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 17

A lot depends on the buttercream you are using...I personally dont use a crusting buttercream, and use a good old fashion spakling knife you get at a hardware store. A lot of people also like to do their buttercream in one step..I do mine in layers. I do the crumb coat first, stick it in the fridge to get hard, do another thin coat and repeat. It gives a nice sharp edge and you don't have to fiddle with viva towels etc.
Make sure you sit down when you frost your cake so you can spin it around and see if it is even.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 17

I also use the roller method, works great. The Viva (plain white, no pattern) also works well.

It just takes practice and patience. As tiggy2 mentioned, light pressure with the roller or will will have a wavy action going on.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

BakingBeezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingBeezie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 17

Thank you all sooo much and for the link! I can't wait to try it all! This is my very first post EVER anywhere and I am very very greatful. Thank you again all that have replied!!! =D

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 17

loriemoms is the frosting you use listed in the recipe section here or is it your secret recipe. I've not used a noncrusting iciing and would like to try one.
Thanks

JeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeCookie Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:55am
post #7 of 17

What does a noncrusting icing do? Does it help with smoothing?

Thanks in advance.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:15am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

A lot depends on the buttercream you are using...I personally dont use a crusting buttercream, and use a good old fashion spakling knife you get at a hardware store. A lot of people also like to do their buttercream in one step..I do mine in layers. I do the crumb coat first, stick it in the fridge to get hard, do another thin coat and repeat. It gives a nice sharp edge and you don't have to fiddle with viva towels etc.
Make sure you sit down when you frost your cake so you can spin it around and see if it is even.

That's pretty much what I do also. A 4" plastic putty knife, and a 12" plastic paint guide both from H Depot. icon_biggrin.gif Depending how hot it is I'll refridgerate between steps. I use IMBC.

Mike

loriemoms Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:24am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerdmann

loriemoms is the frosting you use listed in the recipe section here or is it your secret recipe. I've not used a noncrusting iciing and would like to try one.
Thanks

I am sure there are many non crusting buttercreams listed here and in many cookbooks. Sorry but my recipe is something I worked on for many years and have been told by many of my customers its the best they have ever tasted so I do not give out the recipe. (and judging on how nasty some people have been lately on this forum, I am sure I will be blasted for that, but again sorry!)

turnerdmann Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 17

Loriemoms. I certainly understand not sharing a special recipe. Don't be sorry. I was having a bad day with crusting icing yesterday and looking to try another when I saw the post. I will try one in the recipes here and see what I think. Thanks for responding.

Darlene

loriemoms Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerdmann

Loriemoms. I certainly understand not sharing a special recipe. Don't be sorry. I was having a bad day with crusting icing yesterday and looking to try another when I saw the post. I will try one in the recipes here and see what I think. Thanks for responding.

Darlene

no problem..btw, I think if you do start to work with a non crusting buttercream, you will like it more. I find the crusting buttercreams harder to work with. (its kind of like trying to beat the clock!)

Goodluck!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 17

I've decorated for 5 years, finally bought Sugarshack's DVD and my gosh the difference is amazing--If I had that video 5 years ago, I can not tell you the hours of frustration I would have saved. From the frosting recipe to the actual methods of smoothing, the DVD is priceless!!! Look up Sugarshack on CC and all of her info is there. It is truly the best money I've ever spent in cake decorating!! She also has a Youtube video on how to make buttercream--it is just great!!! (This was not a paid advertisement, just one extremely happy customer!! icon_smile.gif) I can not emphasize enough how much her vido has helped me!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 17

Try using a SMBC or IMBC (Swiss or Italian Meringue Buttercream), they are not crusting buttercreams and fabulous to work with, it firms up really well in the freezer, and very yummy, it's the only buttercream I use. Also here is a great youtube clip by Edna on

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 17

turnerdmann,

I just recently switched to SMBC (Swiss Meringue Buttercream) and I will not be going back to the crusting buttercream! We absolutely love it! Here is a link to Martha Stewart's recipe,

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=59dbcf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=header_2&autonomy_kw=swiss+meringue+buttercream

turnerdmann Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to try the SMBC and IMBC.

I can always count on ya'll to come to my rescue icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #16 of 17

Great video...tonedna..youtube...how to ice a cake..check it out...

She ices a round cake..but you'll get the idea..HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm
post #17 of 17

Ditto on sugarshack's DVDs. I have all of them and wouldn't trade them for anything. Her website is www.sugaredproductions.com It will be the best money you have ever spent!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%