Wanted: Filling Recipes :)

Baking By angelbaby612 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 11:52am by tirby

angelbaby612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbaby612 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hey yall. I am looking for some filling recipes. Normally I just use icing but that gets old. If I do use something else, it is jarred preserves (sp?). I would love to have some from-scratch recipes. Please help! Thanks!

4 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 5

I make homemade preserves (kinda) out of fresh fruit or frozen fruit. Just take your fresh fruit, and slice into a large bowl. If you are using blueberries or raspberries just lightly mash. Sugar heavily, and throw in a generous pinch of salt. Allow to marinate in the fridge for a day or two.

Empty all of your fruit and juice into a pot on high heat. Add vanilla, almond, lemon, rum, etc. extract, usually around 2tsps. Bring to a boil, and add cornstarch in 1 tbsp increments whisking well, until you get your desired thickness. Usually takes me about 5-7. It really depends on how much juice you get out of your fruit. Allow the cornstarch to fully integrate and thicken your mixture before you add another.

If you are doing apples, toss the apples with some brown sugar, whatever spices you would like, vanilla, and a couple of tbsp of cornstarch. Bake in a dish in the oven covered in foil until apples are tender, and juices are flowing.

It keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks, and freezes really well. I like doing peaches, apples, any type of berry, plums. Citrus doesnt work very well for this application, so if you are wanting lemon, pineapple, orange or lime, make a curd instead. Pineapple curd with crushed pineapple, served with coconut whipped cream is DIVINE!

Curd Recipe

1/2 c. cirtus juice
1 tbsp. zest of fruit if using pineapple drained crushed pineapple works well for that
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
3 eggs
1 stick of butter cut into cubes

Whisk sugar and eggs in saucepan. Over med/low heat add juice and extract, mix well until mixture becomes thick and starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Add your zest and butter stirring well until butter is melted. Remove from heat and refridgerate for at least 4 hours before using.

Sorry its so long, but I hope its what you are looking for.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I make homemade preserves (kinda) out of fresh fruit or frozen fruit. Just take your fresh fruit, and slice into a large bowl. If you are using blueberries or raspberries just lightly mash. Sugar heavily, and throw in a generous pinch of salt. Allow to marinate in the fridge for a day or two.

Empty all of your fruit and juice into a pot on high heat. Add vanilla, almond, lemon, rum, etc. extract, usually around 2tsps. Bring to a boil, and add cornstarch in 1 tbsp increments whisking well, until you get your desired thickness. Usually takes me about 5-7. It really depends on how much juice you get out of your fruit. Allow the cornstarch to fully integrate and thicken your mixture before you add another.

If you are doing apples, toss the apples with some brown sugar, whatever spices you would like, vanilla, and a couple of tbsp of cornstarch. Bake in a dish in the oven covered in foil until apples are tender, and juices are flowing.

It keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks, and freezes really well. I like doing peaches, apples, any type of berry, plums. Citrus doesnt work very well for this application, so if you are wanting lemon, pineapple, orange or lime, make a curd instead. Pineapple curd with crushed pineapple, served with coconut whipped cream is DIVINE!

Curd Recipe

1/2 c. cirtus juice
1 tbsp. zest of fruit if using pineapple drained crushed pineapple works well for that
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
3 eggs
1 stick of butter cut into cubes

Whisk sugar and eggs in saucepan. Over med/low heat add juice and extract, mix well until mixture becomes thick and starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Add your zest and butter stirring well until butter is melted. Remove from heat and refridgerate for at least 4 hours before using.

Sorry its so long, but I hope its what you are looking for.

Would the egg yolks if making LIME filling make a strange coler? I use the eggs in Lemon but they are already yellow... Can anyone let me know

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 5

I have never had that happen? I have made lime and orange and even pineapple curd and it is not green green, but that is because fresh lime juice isnt really green.

If you want to make it green just add a bit of green food coloring.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:52am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I have never had that happen? I have made lime and orange and even pineapple curd and it is not green green, but that is because fresh lime juice isnt really green.

If you want to make it green just add a bit of green food coloring.

thanks I'll give it a try

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%