Anyone interested in doing a gingerbread house thread

Decorating By thefrostedcakencookie Updated 19 Nov 2014 , 9:27am by MBalaska

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #151 of 492

I know, I have to get a move on too! icon_biggrin.gif

JanetBme Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #152 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

honeydukes, thanks for the link!! i loved, loved the franky's attic website, but it looks as though its gone icon_cry.gif .

anyone else have a good website?



I haven't read thru all the posts yet- so someone might have already told you..frankysattic is now: www.ultimategingerbread.com



lol- I read thru and saw it posted several times! But they are the coolest patterns. They cost now- last year they were free. But hey- she did the work to create them and deserves to get some reward for her time!

Honeydukes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:30pm
post #153 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

I haven't read thru all the posts yet- so someone might have already told you..frankysattic is now: www.ultimategingerbread.com




Thanks for the link!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:41pm
post #154 of 492

I just checked out that www.ultimategingerbread.com site -- and I'm now struggling with "I want to do that one and that one and that one and that one..." but I have yet to do anything Gingerbread yet! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

JanetBme Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #155 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I just checked out that www.ultimategingerbread.com site -- and I'm now struggling with "I want to do that one and that one and that one and that one..." but I have yet to do anything Gingerbread yet! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif




Last year I did the patterson. It turned out great. I just downloaded the Effingham-hopefully it will turn out as good! I want to do them all too!

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #156 of 492

Janetbme- oh yeah i definitely think she should charge for her patterns! I found out this weekend just how much goes into making just one! and mine is kinda basic.

well here is my behemoth of a template. i think i may have bit off more than i can chew. i guess we'll see. i still need to decide on the shape of the windows and door to cut out of the front but its going to be like a doll house with different christmas scenes in each room.

I'm gonna start baking this week so hopefully this works out. its my first time using my own pattern.
LL
LL

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:01pm
post #157 of 492

oh and there will be a bottom i just ran out of foam board icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:17pm
post #158 of 492

Jewels, are you trying to make the world's largest gingerbread house? icon_wink.gif

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:17pm
post #159 of 492

why yes i am icon_wink.gif , do i get a prize if i do? icon_lol.gif

now i just have to figure out how to bake the big pieces icon_confused.gif

Win Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #160 of 492

Can't believe I just stumbled on this thread! I love gingerbread and make it from scratch each year. I've never gotten big and fancy, double-storied, or magnificant like some of the others posted (and that I SOOO admire,) but I love the way I get lost in my creations. Last year, I bought the Williams Sonoma small house cutters and made many, many as gifts. They are small enough to mass produce yet individualize. A few of them are in my pix. My favorite is this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1168419

It has a place in my heart because it so reminds me of my favorite place on earth, Montana.

My goal is to convince my State Fair Board that Gingerbread is a valid medium in the culinary world and that we should have a slot for it on the competition realm.

icon_rolleyes.gif

JanetBme Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #161 of 492

Wow Jewels! that is going to be a huge one! maybe you can use a 12x18 cake pan. I know all my cookie sheets are too warped to bake gingerbread in.

Bob, This is the patterson house pattern- that I did last year. I had a hard time with the porch and turret- but it was my first time ever making gingerbread. This year I hopefully won't have "do overs"!
LL

mjballinger Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:48am
post #162 of 492

Janet,
That house is incredible!!!


I'm so glad I discovered this thread. Up till now my daughters and I have just made pre=baked ones, the kind from Wilton. We did do our own mini ones with a little cutter set, but that's it. We're ready to move on to bigger and better things now!

Time to go back and start reading this thread from the beginning.

robinscakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:35pm
post #163 of 492

Here's the gingerbread house I made over the weekend for a local publisher. Everyone at the bakery thought it looked like a "Who" house (Dr. Seuss). Now I'm thinking that instead of doing a cathedral like I'd planned for this year's local gingerbread contest, I should do "Whoville" and make all the wonky houses and bent trees...maybe even the Grinch and his sled....and the dog...and Cindy Lou Who....now I'm getting way too ambitious!!!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1286387

Honeydukes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm
post #164 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

Here's the gingerbread house I made over the weekend ...




Very cute!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Did you make the pattern yourself or is it from the web? I think I'd do better with "wonky" type houses. That way if it's "off" it's o.k.! I still need to finish my Halloween house -- it's crooked (on purpose). I thought I'd do it for Christmas as an Elf house.

Lottchen Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #165 of 492

hello
I love your GB houses.... and i wouls love to do one this year... has anyone perhaps a recipe for GB in german please?

dedra_w_1980 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #166 of 492

Ohhh I love Gingerbread Houses!!! I'm in the process of making my template for the one I'm making this year. It will be challenging but I think I will be able to manage it. I'm attaching the one I did last year for our Newspaper contest that I entered. I got 2nd place for it.
LL

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #167 of 492

lottchen- here is the recipe i use. i used a computer translator so it probably isn't the greatest and i switched it into weight measurements hopefully it will work out for you. if you have any other questions about it, i do have someone who could help me translate better but she is out of town for a few days, but i can ask when she gets back. hope this helps.

Lebkuchen Dough

650 g Mehl
20 g Salz
2 Teelöffel Ingwer
2 Teelöffel Zimt
1 Teelöffel Muskatnuss
1 Teelöffel Nelken
240g Verkürzung (Markenname von Backfett /Palmin Soft)
160 g Zucker
450 g Melasse
2 Eier, geschlagen

In groÃen Topf, schmelzen die Verkürzung auf Herd über niedrige Hitze. Während die Verkürzung schmilzt, in einer separaten Schüssel zusammen rühren Mehl, Salz und Gewürze. Bei der Verkürzung ist die Hälfte geschmolzen, entfernen Sie aus Hitze und weiter rühren, bis vollständig geschmolzen. Hinzufügen von Zucker, Melasse und geschlagen Eier. Gut mischen und schnell (um zu verhindern, dass Eier aus Kochen). Add Melasse-Mischung zu Mehl-Gemisch. Gut mischen. Teig wird weich. Cover und im Kühlschrank aufbewahren, bis genug Firma zu handhaben.

Bei der Teig ist fest genug sind, entfernen Sie aus dem Kühlschrank und lassen Sie sitzen, bis Raumtemperatur (etwa eine Stunde).
Ofen vorheizen auf 180 Celsius.

legen Cookie Blatt in Ofen. Ãberprüfen Sie häufig um zu verhindern, dass das Brennen. Backen, bis goldbraun. GroÃe Stücke Mai backen, so lange 14 Minuten. Kleinere Stücke könnte 6 bis 7 Minuten. Ungenutzte Teig Mai werden in Plastik verpackt und tiefgekühlt für bis zu 2 Wochen (die auf Raumtemperatur und kneten kurz wieder zu verwenden). Um zu verhindern, dass aus Hängebrüsten, Ich backe mein Dach Abschnitte bis dunkelbraun, fast verbrannt.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #168 of 492

Jewels I can't read it -- what language is that?

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #169 of 492

lottchen asked if anyone had a recipe in german so i "tried" to translate mine for her, lol. if you'd like it i can post it in english too icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:59pm
post #170 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

lottchen asked if anyone had a recipe in german so i "tried" to translate mine for her, lol. if you'd like it i can post it in english too icon_lol.gif


Yes, please!! icon_biggrin.gif

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:02pm
post #171 of 492

Here it is and let me rephrase that it isn't my recipe, its just the recipe that i use, hehe.

Loretaâs Favorite Gingerbread Dough

5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 ¼ cups molasses
2 eggs, beaten

In large saucepan, melt shortening on stove over low heat. While shortening is melting, in a separate bowl stir together flour, salt and spices (if using for cookies, add 1 tsp. baking soda). When shortening is half melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until completely melted. Add sugar, molasses and beaten eggs. Mix well and quickly (to prevent eggs from cooking). Add molasses mixture to flour mixture. Mix well. Dough will be soft. Cover and refrigerate until firm enough to handle.

When dough is firm enough to handle, remove from refrigerator and let sit until room temperature (about an hour). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To prevent aluminum foil from slipping, wipe counter with wet sponge then smooth aluminum foil over damp counter. This will prevent the foil from slipping while dough is being rolled out.

Working with a small handful of dough (about the size of a baseball), roll dough onto aluminum foil that has been sprinkled with flour. Sprinkle dough with flour to prevent dough from sticking to rolling-pin.

IF DOUGH IS TOO STIFF, MICROWAVE FOR 10-15 SECONDS TO SOFTEN THE DOUGH.

Roll dough to about 1/8â thickness. Place gingerbread house pattern pieces onto dough and cut-out dough pieces (don't forget to cut out windows). A pizza cutter works great for cutting out walls and roof sections. Remove excess dough pieces. Lift entire piece of foil and place on large cookie sheet.

Place cookie sheet in oven. Check frequently to prevent burning. Bake until golden brown. Large pieces may bake as long as 14 minutes. Smaller pieces might take 6 â 7 minutes. Unused dough may be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks (bring to room temperature and knead briefly to use again). To prevent from sagging, I bake my roof sections until dark brown, almost burnt.

When dough pieces are done baking, remove baking sheet from oven. Quickly lift foil from baking sheet and place on a flat area for gingerbread pieces to cool. If pieces have distorted while baking, while still warm, run knife or pizza cutter along sides of walls/roof sections to create a straight edge. If pieces have curled up during baking, while still warm, gently push edges down to lay flat.

With gingerbread pieces still on the foil, let cool overnight. Next day â gently peel foil off of gingerbread pieces. You are now ready to assemble, or add windows!

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #172 of 492

Awesome!! Thank you!! icon_lol.gif

justgale Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:45pm
post #173 of 492

I tried to make the circus tent using Kelly's template but I think I had the gingerbread to thick. I couldn't get the top of the tent to stay together. I finely gave up and just ended up eating the dang thing.

I did find the Wilton Haunted House kit on sale at Kmart last night for $2.50, so I got one and tried to turn it into a church today. It turned out ok. My hands were hot and it's mostly made with candy melts so it was kind of messy. Anyway here is the link. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1286948.html
Sherri

JanetBme Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #174 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

lottchen- here is the recipe i use. i used a computer translator so it probably isn't the greatest and i switched it into weight measurements hopefully it will work out for you. if you have any other questions about it, i do have someone who could help me translate better but she is out of town for a few days, but i can ask when she gets back. hope this helps.

Lebkuchen Dough

650 g Mehl
20 g Salz
2 Teelöffel Ingwer
2 Teelöffel Zimt
1 Teelöffel Muskatnuss
1 Teelöffel Nelken
240g Verkürzung (Markenname von Backfett /Palmin Soft)
160 g Zucker
450 g Melasse
2 Eier, geschlagen

In groÃen Topf, schmelzen die Verkürzung auf Herd über niedrige Hitze. Während die Verkürzung schmilzt, in einer separaten Schüssel zusammen rühren Mehl, Salz und Gewürze. Bei der Verkürzung ist die Hälfte geschmolzen, entfernen Sie aus Hitze und weiter rühren, bis vollständig geschmolzen. Hinzufügen von Zucker, Melasse und geschlagen Eier. Gut mischen und schnell (um zu verhindern, dass Eier aus Kochen). Add Melasse-Mischung zu Mehl-Gemisch. Gut mischen. Teig wird weich. Cover und im Kühlschrank aufbewahren, bis genug Firma zu handhaben.

Bei der Teig ist fest genug sind, entfernen Sie aus dem Kühlschrank und lassen Sie sitzen, bis Raumtemperatur (etwa eine Stunde).
Ofen vorheizen auf 180 Celsius.

legen Cookie Blatt in Ofen. Ãberprüfen Sie häufig um zu verhindern, dass das Brennen. Backen, bis goldbraun. GroÃe Stücke Mai backen, so lange 14 Minuten. Kleinere Stücke könnte 6 bis 7 Minuten. Ungenutzte Teig Mai werden in Plastik verpackt und tiefgekühlt für bis zu 2 Wochen (die auf Raumtemperatur und kneten kurz wieder zu verwenden). Um zu verhindern, dass aus Hängebrüsten, Ich backe mein Dach Abschnitte bis dunkelbraun, fast verbrannt.




Just curious is it an actual lebkuchen dough or is it your translation program that called it that? The reason I'm asking is the lebkuchen is a softer cookie than regular gingerbread. I don't think regular lebkuchen would work unless it was modified to be harder.

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #175 of 492

no its the gingerbread recipe that i use that i attempted to translate into german. i probably should have left it to someone who had a tested one in german icon_razz.gif

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:12pm
post #176 of 492

so anyone out there working on the gingerbread house yet? just finished baking the house. it took 4 1/2 batches for this monstrosity. i sure hope its worth it. i think next year i'm going to scale back quite a bit.

KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #177 of 492

I'm planning on doing 15 gingerbread houses for the kids in my class at school (4-6th graders) I'm the classroom supervisor and also teach a home-ec class. Myself and another teacher decided to offer it to our students, the school doesn't pay for anything but we use their kitchen when necessary. So I thought it would be cool to make 15 little kinda simple gingerbread houses and assemble them and bring them to school and let the kids decorate them for home-ec class and then take them home for their families to enjoy! The other teacher has offered to purchase all the candies if I give her a list of what we need if I do the gb houses. I've made them ONCE before with my 3 kids and they were ugly little things. Does anyone have a cute little house template by any chance?? I'm thinking my best bet would be to make cookie cutters for all the shapes so I don't have to spend as much time cutting around a template since I do have to make 15 of them.
I hope I can do this!!

KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:07pm
post #178 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

Janetbme- oh yeah i definitely think she should charge for her patterns! I found out this weekend just how much goes into making just one! and mine is kinda basic.

well here is my behemoth of a template. i think i may have bit off more than i can chew. i guess we'll see. i still need to decide on the shape of the windows and door to cut out of the front but its going to be like a doll house with different christmas scenes in each room.

I'm gonna start baking this week so hopefully this works out. its my first time using my own pattern.




I think you should seriously consider designing dollhouses too........my DD would absolutely LOVE That house!!!

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #179 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I think you should seriously consider designing dollhouses too........my DD would absolutely LOVE That house!!!




its funny you mentioned that. when the girls got home from the grandparents that weekend, the first think out of my oldest mouth was oooh mommy is that a dollhouse? so the hubby and i are thinking of using the template, just making it a little bigger, and making one out of mdf and painting it for christmas.

for the gingerbread houses i saw a cutter set that looked really cool over at the ultimate gingerbread website that might work for you too. you could buy it or just model a cutter after it. here's the site https://astore.amazon.com/gingerbsoluti-20/detail/B000QJ24TU

KHalstead Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #180 of 492

yeah I've seen that but it gets mixed reviews and it looks simple enough to make don't ya think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%