Buttercreme Falling Off Cake- Help!!!

Decorating By mrsfirebug Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm by kimblyd

mrsfirebug Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 4

I have had two cakes where the buttercreme completely seperated from the cake. The cake was not hot or even warm when crumb coated so no moisture in between layers. I am baffled as to why this is happening and really need some help understanding it in order to correct it. Could it be the "NEW" Crisco with 0 Trans Fats?

3 replies
kimblyd Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

I really don't know if that is what happened in your case. I have used the "new" Crisco, but always add Dream Whip.

I have had BC fall off before, but I am pretty sure it was my technique instead of the icing itself.

I did not crumbcoat and I used the Wilton icer tip and put way too much icing on to start with. Since I didn't use a spatula to apply the icing I didn't press it hard enough into the cake to really make it adhere, I just sorta smoothed it around. It was a mess.

Now I only use a spatula and always apply a crumb coat first.

mrsfirebug Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

oh thanks..... you know come to think of it, I used the icing tip also to cover it... but I normally do and this is the only one I have had do that... but sounds like I may need to change my technique.... Thank you so much for the reply...

kimblyd Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 4

You are very welcome.

I have learned many things by doing it the wrong way first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%