Best Icing For Decorating On Fondant Icing

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:56am by Skirt

cakelovincrazy Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 17

I'm new to cake decorating, this is the second "fancy" cake I will be making.
I'm going to make a barbie doll cake for my daughter's 6th b-day and will do the skirt with Fondant icing.
What is the best icing to use for decorating on top of fondant. The back of the barbie has a train with a ton of tiny flowers. I read somewhere on another site that some icing slides off the fondant. The party is going to be at a park, so will need to stand up to the outdoors, although the temp should be around low 80's.
I've attached a picture of the cake I am trying to replicate, this is what my daughter picked out.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it. Oh, also I was planning on doing a chocolate cake with the cookies and cream filling for the bottom part of the cake, but what type of cake would be best for the barbie portion?
Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

16 replies
bashini Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 17

Royal Icing is the best. icon_smile.gif

cakelovincrazy Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 17

Do you know of a royal icing recipe that doesn't have egg whites? My daughter is allergic to egg whites.

LIFE1234 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 17

I agree with Bashini, royal icing is a good option, also it would be easy to erase if you make any mistakes. As for the cake top I would use either a white/yellow/strawberry cake with buttercream filling or perhaps even a delicious pound cake.

Skirt Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 17

You don't have to necessarily use fondant. You could use BC. That's what I did for my princess. Just a thought to avoid the egg white allergy... It's in my photos if you want to take a look.

cakelovincrazy Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

You don't have to necessarily use fondant. You could use BC. That's what I did for my princess. Just a thought to avoid the egg white allergy... It's in my photos if you want to take a look.

Your barbie doll cake is beautiful! So, that is not fondant on the skirt? It's looks so smooth.
Is the icing on the cake and the flowers butter cream? What recipe did you use if you don't mind sharing?

Skirt Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 17

Barbie's hairdo makes all the difference! I just bought a regular doll and ripped her legs off so that she fit. I was in Italy at the time so I just used a round bowl and a 2" high round pan to make the skirt since I didn't have the Wilton pan. I'm pretty sure I just used the standard BC recipe of 1 cup Crisco, 1 cup butter, 2 tsp vanilla and 4 cups icing sugar. Add about 2 Tbsp of milk to make it creamy enough to spread. The imperfections were hidden by the pink stars!!

bashini Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 17

So, does that mean you can't use meringue powder as well. If so another option is Rolled Buttercream.

Can't you use piping gel to do the flowers? I don't know how its going to hold in the sun light. You can colour it as well. This is just another thought.

jjkarm Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 17

I've piped on fondant with Indydebi's buttercream. It works very well and it also holds up to the heat. If you make a mistake you can let it crust, remove the mistake, then pipe it over again. icon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #10 of 17

I don't think you can make royal icing without using egg whites or meringue powder (which has powdered egg whites in it).

If RI isn't an option, I think I'd use Wilton's class buttercream. It's used to make air dried buttercream flowers and it dries pretty hard.

Wilton Class Decorating Buttercream Icing Ingredients
STIFF:

1 ts Clear vanilla extract*
2 tb Water
1c Shortening
1 tb Wilton Meringue Powder
1 lb Sifted powdered sugar

Instructions for Wilton Class Decorating Buttercream Icing
*Note: Clear butter & clear almond extracts can be included with or substituted for the vanilla. Flavorings can be up to a total of 2 t. DIRECTIONS: Sift the powdered sugar and meringue powder into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Cream shortening, flavorings and water. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so until creamy.

HTH
Rae

cakelovincrazy Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

Barbie's hairdo makes all the difference! I just bought a regular doll and ripped her legs off so that she fit. I was in Italy at the time so I just used a round bowl and a 2" high round pan to make the skirt since I didn't have the Wilton pan. I'm pretty sure I just used the standard BC recipe of 1 cup Crisco, 1 cup butter, 2 tsp vanilla and 4 cups icing sugar. Add about 2 Tbsp of milk to make it creamy enough to spread. The imperfections were hidden by the pink stars!!

Do you have to use icing sugar or will regular sugar work? How did you smooth the icing out so nicely to make it look like fondant?

Callyssa Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 17

I swear there is another ingredient that can be used in place of egg whites/meringue......I think it starts with a "b"......let me see if I can search it and I'll get back to you if I find it. (I hope I'm not wrong!)

cakelovincrazy Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I swear there is another ingredient that can be used in place of egg whites/meringue......I think it starts with a "b"......let me see if I can search it and I'll get back to you if I find it. (I hope I'm not wrong!)

Thanks, I appreciate you looking.

If you can't find the ingredient, would you mind telling me if this sounds ok and would work well enough being outdoors for several hours.

The bottom of the cake I plan to make chocolate with the cookies and cream filling. To icing it, one should not use a crusting ice correct? Just a regular butter cream icing? What flavor butter cream icing would taste good with the chocolate cookies and cream?
The barbie doll cake will be strawberry with a light pink fondant.
Then use (Indydebi's buttercream) just for the decorations on the fondant?

Thank you all for helping me with this, I'm very new at this, but want it turn out beautiful for my daughter and of course taste great too.

Callyssa Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 17

I'm still looking....I can't for the life of me remember where (or what) I saw, but I swear I read twice last week something about "if you do want to use meringue powder you can use___ instead...." It could just be a technical name for powdered egg whites? I don't know. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything out! A google search turned up nothing, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about!

That said, I am a complete newbie myself, so I'll try to answer your questions as to what "I" would do, but please remember that I'm still in the trial and error mode myself, and you might be far better off to take the advice of a seasoned vet!

The bottom of the cake I plan to make chocolate with the cookies and cream filling. To icing it, one should not use a crusting ice correct?

I personally would use a crusting icing, some BC crust and some don't, it depends on the recipe and sugar/fat ratio. Especially if it's going to be outdoors, I would think a crusting would be better? But if you're talking about the filling then even using a crusting icing won't crust inside a cake. For flavor I think I would stick with a simple vanilla BC since you don't want to take away from the cookies and cream taste.

I haven't used Indydebi's icing yet, I'm trying it out today. I don't know about using it on fondant, I just posted a question myself about using BC accents on fondant.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. I end up just testing things out ahead of time to see whether it will work, or if I will like it, but I hope others will jump in and give their expert advice.

Good luck, and if I ever find whatever it was I read I'll let you know. It's entirely possible I've mixed two different things up and don't know what the heck I'm talking about!

PS I used this recipe to outline on cookies and it was stiff enough that it didn't run at all. I don't know how or if it would hold any shape of flowers though. It got hard quickly but not rock hard like RI. You might want to test it out? Here it is:

No meringue sugar cookie icing:

2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
almond or vanilla extract to your taste.

Stir ingredients together. This consistency is for outlining, but you can add milk or water to thin it down for flooding.

I may have gotten this recipe from CC but I don't remember, so I apologize for not giving credit where due. It's not my own, just one I found, tried, and was happy with!

cakelovincrazy Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I'm still looking....I can't for the life of me remember where (or what) I saw, but I swear I read twice last week something about "if you do want to use meringue powder you can use___ instead...." It could just be a technical name for powdered egg whites? I don't know. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything out! A google search turned up nothing, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about!

That said, I am a complete newbie myself, so I'll try to answer your questions as to what "I" would do, but please remember that I'm still in the trial and error mode myself, and you might be far better off to take the advice of a seasoned vet!

The bottom of the cake I plan to make chocolate with the cookies and cream filling. To icing it, one should not use a crusting ice correct?

I personally would use a crusting icing, some BC crust and some don't, it depends on the recipe and sugar/fat ratio. Especially if it's going to be outdoors, I would think a crusting would be better? But if you're talking about the filling then even using a crusting icing won't crust inside a cake. For flavor I think I would stick with a simple vanilla BC since you don't want to take away from the cookies and cream taste.

I haven't used Indydebi's icing yet, I'm trying it out today. I don't know about using it on fondant, I just posted a question myself about using BC accents on fondant.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. I end up just testing things out ahead of time to see whether it will work, or if I will like it, but I hope others will jump in and give their expert advice.

Good luck, and if I ever find whatever it was I read I'll let you know. It's entirely possible I've mixed two different things up and don't know what the heck I'm talking about!

PS I used this recipe to outline on cookies and it was stiff enough that it didn't run at all. I don't know how or if it would hold any shape of flowers though. It got hard quickly but not rock hard like RI. You might want to test it out? Here it is:

No meringue sugar cookie icing:

2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
almond or vanilla extract to your taste.

Stir ingredients together. This consistency is for outlining, but you can add milk or water to thin it down for flooding.

I may have gotten this recipe from CC but I don't remember, so I apologize for not giving credit where due. It's not my own, just one I found, tried, and was happy with!

Thanks for all the advice. I will use the crusting BC for all of the cake and on the fondant. I may try the recipe you gave me tonight for the icing and see how it works. The party is next weekend, so I'll post a picture after I finish it. Keep your fingers crossed for me. icon_confused.gif

Callyssa Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 17

One thing I forgot to tell you is a fantastic decorator told me to use a crusting bc underneath fondant and do your crumb coat first, let it crust, then right before you go to put your fondant on do your final layer of bc, that way the fondant will stick to it (before it crusts). I don't know why you shouldn't just use a non-crusting bc, but this is what I was told. I'd be curious to see whether everyone else uses crusting or non under their fondant............

Skirt Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

Do you have to use icing sugar or will regular sugar work? How did you smooth the icing out so nicely to make it look like fondant?

I use icing sugar since it's finer and gives you a smoother icing. If you're using a mixer, use the paddle attachment instead of the whisk. That makes less air bubbles in your icing. As to smoothing the BC, I put it on with a metal spatula, let it set a bit and then smoothed it with the same metal spatula, except I heat it by dipping it in hot water then dry it before running it along the cake. Bye bye bubbles!

If you can find Sweetex (a hi ratio shortening), alot of people on CC swear by it. Some have talked of Bettercreme recently. So many choices...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%