Rolling Pin Help Needed Please!

Decorating By vanillabean Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm by vanillabean

vanillabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillabean Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am looking for an 18" rolling pin for rolling out fondant. I looked on Instawares, but there are so many. What is better, the wood or the stainless steel? Is any brand better than the others? Thanks!!

8 replies
Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #2 of 9

I have the Wilton one and it works just fine for me, but I know others seem not to like it for one reason or another.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 9

I'm all for the Wilton 20 inch white vinyl pin. Works like a charm and it's made specifically for fondant.

Rae

vanillabean Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 9

Okay, don't laugh too hard at me, but I have one of the Wilton ones and somehow managed to warp it. I put it in the dishwasher (top rack) and I think the heat did it. Yes, I am a dork! Anyhoo, now I cannot get my fondant to roll out the same thickness. I guess I could use my Michael's coupon to get a new one, but the ones with handles look so nice!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

I have the Wilton one, and I use the spacer rings at the ends to get an even thickness. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:46am
post #6 of 9

i agree with both.... millermom and blakescakes... love my wilton large and small rollers... have several of each... hth

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 9

I agree, I love my Wilton 20" and Michaels has a 50% off coupon that is good until tomorrow as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:01am
post #8 of 9

If you can handle a wood pin, Italians have super long ones that they use to roll pasta. An Italian specialty store should have one. I use it to roll out huge sheets of NFSC!

vanillabean Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Skirt - where abouts are you in Italy? My sister and I spent a summer in Urbino many years ago and I dream about going back all the time. I remember eating a late lunch in the upstairs of bar one day, and watching an older lady roll out ravioli dough with one of those long rolling pins, and then she shaped all the ravioli by hand. She had maybe 2 table tops full of them!
My gosh those were such good days! I miss eating Crecia (sp?) and sitting on the hill overlooking the city, listening to the birds sing and the chruch bells ring. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%