Interesting Email From Potential Client

Decorating By mixinvixen Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 3:33am by ljdills

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 12

got an email the other day from a new neighbor i haven't met yet, wanting me to possible make a cake for this weekend for a dual birthday party for her two kids. i wrote back that my usual order time is 3 weeks, but i typically stay booked up months in advance...however, since we just moved, my calendar is open right now and i may be able to help her out if the design was not too complicated. i also put my pricing per slice and that i have a $75 minimum..told her if it didn't work for her budget she's set for the party, maybe we can work together the next time. she sent original email on fri or sat...no word until just now, and this is what i get.

"This is good information and I appreciate your prompt response. The cost is a bit more than our budget so I will need to check with a local store, but I'm sure it will not be the level of service and product than I would receive from you. I will however, keep you in mind and if I have the opportunity to take advantage of your expertise in the near future, I will certainly do so."

i am a huge believer in budgets, and will fight anyone who makes fun of people who know their limits, but i thought that one line about knowing she going to pay for something that isn't up to mine or her standards was interesting. hmmmmmmm.....

11 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 12

Well now, isn't that just downright refreshing!!!! I think I might like this new neighbor of yours already!! Thanks for sharing such a positive note!
Just made my day!

Have a great day!
Carol

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 12

This says that she knows your product is an art, and you pay for art!

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 12

I don't think the line about paying for something not up to her standards was odd...if you have a budget for a cake, and can't afford the best or what you really want, then you're kind of stuck buying what fits in the budget whether it's up to your standards or not.

Kind of a "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" situation. I get that.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 12

I thought this was a very kind response. She didn't just come back with I'll go to the grocery store because you are too expensive. She basically said she knows your product is worth it, but it is not in her budget this time. I wish everyone who thought the price was too high would respond like that!!

mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 12

i'm glad she emailed back with that response, cause it does make me proud. i knew she wasn't going to order though cause she sent the original email on the 15th and knew time was of the essence. my husband made a bet with me that she would wait right up until the time, before figuring out a nice way to say it wasn't in her budget...he called it!!

once again, i have absolutely no problem with budgets...i'm a huge bargain shopper!!!! love yard sales, thrift stores, craigslist, etc. i just thought it was interesting that she's celebrating two birthdays, and acknowledges the fact that what she ends up with will not be what she really wants. if it were me, i would shave something from another area, to be able to get what i really want...but then again, maybe she's already purchased the other items.

i'm just sending her a reply email thanking her for thinking of me, cause i really do appreciate that, and looking forward to working with her in the future.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 12

I had a similar issue, a friend wants me to do a christening cake. And we agreed on what it would look like. 12x 18 decorated and filled with buttercream, but with a large fondant christening dress draped on top, with little fondant booties on the cake board. She said that sounds fantastic. Then says "It isn't gonna cost like 50 bucks, is it? Because I will just go straight to Costco!" I was floored. That cake would cost at least $50 just to make, let alone the time put in. I was going to discount it to $50 bucks for her. Now I feel as though I will have to do it for $25-30. Hopefully I can get $30!!! Some people get that those Price Club cakes are mass produced and not up to a certain level, the are simply decorated usually. Some Don't get it. And others don't care as long as it is cheap. Sometimes I truly want to forget about the idea of baking for others and just bake for my kids, but I really love it. I haven't sold any cakes yet, since I am a beginner, but I think I should give up before I start. I feel bad because I have loads of equipment, the passion and desire to do it and then when it comes down to it, I am told, ( and this happens frequently) I will just go to Costco, it's cheaper!

Sorry, Just Venting!

Christine

mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 12

if they sell backbones at costco, tell her to pick you up one. icon_biggrin.gif

not trying to be mean here AT ALL, i promise, but she gave you the perfect out, and you let her get by with it. when she said that, you could have snorted and said "sister, i'm saving you at least $50, just cause you're my friend...this cake will only be $75! (or whatever)."

better yet, you should have volunteered for her to buy the supplies from the list you give her, then come to your house and "help". you get a fun girls day, and she get a serious reality check.

just because she wants to pay $30, why in the hell does that mean you have to sell it at that? i can go the dealership and talk to a saleman for hours about this one particular car, but when we sit down to wheel and deal and i tell him i want it for $100, do you think he's gonna give it to me, and then be pissed at me like i forced him into it?

btw- wish her luck getting fondant and gumpaste at costco...hahahahahahahahahahahha icon_evil.gif .

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

Then says "It isn't gonna cost like 50 bucks, is it? Because I will just go straight to Costco!" I was floored.

Chrisstpie, Costco is exactly where I would have suggested she go. Once a potential client makes a comment like that it's where she can go looking for her precious cake. Friend or no (and it's a good friend who has done this to me) I'm no longer interested in hearing what they want in a cake. I'm better off not having to deal with her and she's better off getting her cookie cutter cardboard cake wherever.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 12

I thought her response was perfect. We all would like to drive escalades, and BMWs. I know I would. The reason I don't is $$$. It's the same w/ anything you want to buy..

Mike

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #11 of 12

You guys are right. I guess I was just looking for an excuse to make a cake. I just think she wants a cake, any cake, mine or costco, no difference to her. I am just going to tell her I can't do if for that price.

Christine

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #12 of 12

chrissypie,

I too have a problem saying "no"
You have to be really careful because you may think you are doing someone a favor but what you are doing is setting a precedence. The next time she wants a cake she will expect the same thing. Plus if she tells anyone what she paid for her cake then they are going to come to you and expect the same. Kind of a give em' an inch and they'll take a mile kinda thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%