Who Is Right...me Or My Husband?? (Regarding Dining Table)

Lounge By dailey Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm by mbelgard

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 13

my husbands mom used to own a antique shop years ago and she carried alot of Amish furniture. at any rate, she gave my husband a solid oak hand-carved dining table (48 inches round) with 4 chairs as payment because he helped her renovate her old house. now here is the problem...i want to sell it. its *very* sturdy but i feel like its clashing with my kitchen (its in my nook) and too "70ish" looking. i put it on craigslist for $350 and a women is coming out tonight to look at it. well my husband is NOT happy right now! he claims that table is worth $1000 and i'm giving it away. so now i'm wondering if i *did* underprice it??? i know nothing of Amish furniture and while it is a very solid set, i hardly believe anyone is going to pay anywhere near $1000.

i really want to sell this table tonight to this women but now i'm second guessing myself and i was hoping you all could give me your opinion on this...thanks!

12 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 13

It depends on where you live and what condition it's in.

I'm far from an expert but based on it being hand carved and stuff if you found the right buyer you very well might get much more than you're asking for. The key to this however is finding the RIGHT buyer, that could take a very long time depending on your area.

If you want to get rid of it quickly you would probably have to take less than the actual worth of the item.

If you really want to know you might want to find someone who's qualified to come appraise the value for you.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 13

I think I would have tried to find the table's market value before I posted it on Craig's list. But, I sympathize with your plight. My husband inherited a lot of old (antique?) UGLY furniture from his mother. One particular piece (a wash stand) I would love to toss in the nearest ditch, but hubby would have a conniption (even though it's likely just a cheap imitation).

dailey Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 13

thanks for the input! the lady never showed up last night...o well, at least i can look into this further now.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 13

What it's worth, and what you can sell it for are vastly different items.

Mike

PS. If someone is willing to only pay 250 for it then that's what it's worth. You can say it's worth ten thousand, but until someone is willing to buy it. It's only a dust collector.

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

My husband inherited a lot of old (antique?) UGLY furniture from his mother.

I kinda accidentally became an antique china collector. I focus on antique Asian china (I have a number of pieces with the same mark and they are over 100 years old ... LUV ebay!). Anyway ..... Hubby has a set of old dishes belonged to his grandmother. Ugly. Pure Ugly and Hideous. Big 'ole red apples on yellowed china. I had them hidden in the far back of the cabinet.

As I got into china, I decided to research the mark and find out what these ugly things were worth (or NOT worth)!

We don't have a full set ... some cups, a plate or two are missing. But the pieces we have are worth over $1200!!

I just LUV these BEAUTIFUL classic design dishes, now!

My sister was having a garage sale and had a set of china that she was going to sell for $10. She asked me if I wanted them because they belonged to a deceased aunt. I took them .... researched them .... and it took me 7 years to confess to her that she gave me a set of dishes worth over $500.

You never know what you've got hidden away ........

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

he claims that table is worth $1000 and i'm giving it away.

On the other hand, my ex-husband was always claiming he owned ALL classic and expensive items. EVERYTHING was worth a fortune. NOTHING he owned was 'junk'.

That gets pretty tiring, too.

Trust me .... we owned a lot of "junk' back then!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:44am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

What it's worth, and what you can sell it for are vastly different items.

Mike

PS. If someone is willing to only pay 250 for it then that's what it's worth. You can say it's worth ten thousand, but until someone is willing to buy it. It's only a dust collector.

I totally agree with that. My understanding is that furniture is notorious for not reselling for its actual "value," so although your husband may technically be correct, its "true worth" is irrelevant when confronted with potential customers that simply won't pay more than x, y or z for a piece of furniture you don't want anymore.

I'm glad you got a no-show though, if your hubby is upset at least you can do some more research and possibly prove to him that your estimate was accurate; at least he won't accuse you of not doing your homework. Maybe you can consult with some other antiques experts, surely they will have some clue as to the value of the furniture, or maybe even be willing to sell it on consignment for you (if it's worth anything). Just a thought!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 13

Just to add, but if it was your husband's, then it's really not your place to sell it without his OK. Second, NEVER sell without looking at what it's worth... But with that said, dining sets notoriously sell for peanuts because the market is saturated with dining sets in great condition because people never wear them out.

Melissa

dailey Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:45am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Just to add, but if it was your husband's, then it's really not your place to sell it without his OK. Second, NEVER sell without looking at what it's worth... But with that said, dining sets notoriously sell for peanuts because the market is saturated with dining sets in great condition because people never wear them out.

Melissa

lol! silly women, don't you know *everything* he owns is mine??

i actually sold it for $350, *love* craigslist! next up...his corvette. icon_evil.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 13

I wouldn't go there icon_eek.gif Imagine if he chose something you value to sell? The ring you inherited from your grandmother you never wear? (as an example my husband could do to me if I were to "go there" with his stuff)

I guess I have a different kind of relationship for better or for worse (and I've seen my share of both! icon_razz.gif ) His stuff is his stuff. Now... I "DO" find it annoying when he wants to have a say in EVERYTHING we get, so I've been guilty of going over his head... but selling his property would be something he would NEVER let me live down... just the way he is.

Melissa

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #12 of 13

My DH bought an R6 motorcycle behind my back once and drove to Iowa from MI to go pick it up. My van was acting up and he tore the trannie all to tapedshut.gif . He drove it home the last 75 miles in 2nd gear. icon_evil.gif The first thing he told me was "If you don't divorce me over this you never will." He later told me the bike was a *great deal* for only $6,500. How did he pay without me knowing about it you ask....that's right the genius used a credit card. icon_mad.gif (on top of that I had just finished paying off the last CC bill so we had no CC debt.) You don't even want to know what I was thinking!!!!! He then bought track plastics and leathers for about $1,100 total and my van cost $1000 to fix. All I can say is I must REALLY love him or parts of him would still be missing. Oh and he only really rode it for one year after that less and less. It's an '03 and has extremely low miles but he still won't sell it. He's only rode it 3x this year...I love him, but he's an idiot. I can't sell it behind his back but Lord, if it was possible I might think about it.

Good luck with the corvette---you may possibly need it on that one. icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

i actually sold it for $350, *love* craigslist! next up...his corvette. icon_evil.gif

My husband wouldn't care about a table but if I sold one of his toys they'd never find my body. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%