Decorated German Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By vtjilly Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm by dawncr

vtjilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtjilly Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer that would like a decorated german chocolate cake for a baby shower. I could do the german chocolate icing for the filling, but to the exterior would have to be buttercream so I could decorate it. Would the buttercream compliment the german chocolate cake?

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Jill

7 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 8

I would use the pecan filling and chocolate buttercream to decorate on the outside. I would just decorate with chocolate roses or something that would compliment. I definatatly wouldnt use white buttercream.IMHO

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

Chocolate icing. Mmmm!!

You can ice the side in the coconut pecan and do the top in chocolate icing.

You can just regular buttercream in pastels to do the decorations and that will really pop on the chocolate.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 8

Chocolate buttercream would taste yummy on a German Chocolate cake, or even a whipped ganache. mmmmmmm

However, if you really want to decorate it in light colors, maybe consider a chocolate wrap? I did this for a GC cake I made for my MIL a couple years ago: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1078993

If you haven't already seen it, ShirlyW posted a tutorial on chocolate wraps here: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-56654.html

HTH thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 8

Hmm, I think chocolate icing would be tasty but I think it would overpower the delicate German chocolate-ness. I would have no trouble using like a swiss meringue or even piping right on the regular German chocolate icing--done it a hundred times. Just decorate over it. I think chocolate roses would be grand on that. Yellow works good too.

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:42am
post #6 of 8

Hi,

Look at this made by Lazy-Susan, she make the most beautiful german chocolate cakes ever.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_30327.html

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 8

When I do german choc., I fill between the layers and on top with the coconut-pecan stuff, then ice the sides and do borders in choc. BC, not too dark. That gives it a very neat, professional look, plenty of the coconut-pecan (for most people, it just isn't german chocolate if it doesn't have the coconut-pecan filling), and the chocolate BC is not ovewhelming at all. I have decorated with flowers or figure piping right on top of the coconut-pecan icing.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8

Jilly,

German Choc cake with homemade coconut-pecan icing is a fave in my family, too. I was wondering about how to decorate with this, and your post prompted me to go to the Galleries.

If you go to Galleries (tab up top), then click on Search, and use the word "German" to search, you'll come up with about 200 cake photos! There are a few that are captured by the search which you won't be interested in (German Shepherd dogs; German Choc cake mix, but no coconut-pecan frosting or filling), but I was surprised at how many ideas there were.

HTH,
Dawn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%