Cup Cake Bouquet Help

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm by absijails

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 19

I am excited to get my first cupcake bouquet order and have already quoted her $45 (special pricing) for 2 bouquets, one dozen standard sized cupcakes each.

When I was at Michaels the other day, I was browsing thru the styrofoam ball isle, and I didnt realize they cost so MUCH! Are these cheaper anywhere else? I guess I should have quoted a little higher, I didnt realize it would be $9/ea JUST for the ball!

For a one dozen standard cupcake sized bouquet, do I need to use the 8" styrofoam ball with the 8" terra cotta pot? Or which size would you recommend?

TIA for your help!

18 replies
Callyssa Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 19

I just picked up some 5" x 5"x 5" blocks at WalMart for $1.97. I think the ball sounds better, but for that much money I'll carve the block INTO a ball! Was it the sytrofoam ball you priced, or the spongy oasis that you would use for real flowers? I've read that that kind doesn't hold as well, and I think they're more pricey also. Just curious.

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 19

Nope, just the regular styrofoam ball (not the oasis), 8", was $8.99/ea! I was thinking maybe I could do 4 smaller bouquets instead (1/2 doz each) and use the 6" ball, but the pricing on those wasn't any better, again about $6.99/ea. I guess I didnt realize supplies for these would be so much (for styrofoam???!!!) and should have maybe charged more.

Are the balls cheaper at like Walmart?

juleskaye518 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 19

How do you get the cupcakes to stay on the ball??? Mine didn't work out well at all and I ended up with a cupcake disaster!

mrswendel Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 19

Check at the Dollar Store. The "Buck or Two" (I'm in Ontario) carries styrofoam balls in the art section, depending on the size they range from
2/$1 to $1.50 each.

absijails Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 19

I've heard of using dixie cups..i've never tried it, but it is supposed to be more stable. I've tried making cupcake bouquets several times with the toothpicks and a styrofoam ball and they've always fallen off.
anyone out there have directions for using the dixie cups?

mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 19

i just did a tutorial a month or so ago...don't have the link handy but cupcake tutorial is in the title and it's under my name.

i used the small portion cups, but dixie cups would be along the same lines. i didn't use the stryrofoam ball cause i didn't want to spend any more additional money. i used stryofoam peanuts in the bottom on most, and the rest (when i ran out) i filled half full with the small pea gravel, which was like $4 for a large bag. then i cut out circles of foam core and hot glues those about an inch down in the pot.

check out the tutorial..i totally made it up as i went along, it ended up working great for me, and i keep getting pm's from other people on how easy it's working for them.

good luck.

btw: i think next time you need to go up on your pricing. i did 6 standard size cupcakes per each bouquet, and i think i'd probably charge at least $40 for EACH bouquet. you're giving your client 24 decorated cupcakes, at least 24 dowel rods, at least 24 dixie cups or portion cups, a metal bucket or clay pot, peanuts or rocks, hot glue, cupcake liners, ribbon, and at least 30 minutes per bouqet assembling (including icing each one) etc....there's no way, in the long run, that you're coming out ahead...in fact, i think you may be behind a bit. consider it a learning experience and make sure you let the client know she's getting a great deal cause you wanted to try something new...ask her to keep the price under her hat, and she'll end up feeling special.

sweetcravings Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 19

Yup..there that expensive at my Michaels too. Its sickening..such a cute idea but the materials alone kill ya.

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 19

Another question I had, is what are the sizes/count of these bouquets?

I believe the smaller versions look to be 7 standard cupcakes, so is the larger version 12ct or more like 14ct? And what sizes of ball/pot would I need for the small and the larger version? Again, I am only looking to do standard cupcakes at this time.

mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 19

i used 6 standard size cupcakes, and some green tissue paper to stuff in the open spaces as foliage. i think my pots were probably 7 inches or so around the top. pricing doesn't have to be high at all, i promise.

one time investment of portion cups from gfs, costco, or sams, which will last for probably at least a hundred bouquets. if you don't want to go that far, then buy the dixie cups from dollar general for hardly nothing.

dowel rods come in a bundle at the craft stores typically. if you can't get them, then do straws.

my packing peanuts were free, cause we just moved. i raided every box i could find that had them, and had enough for about 8 of my 24 bouquets. the rest were sufficiently filled by buying that ONE bag of pea gravel from home depot.

for 24 total bouquets, i used the equivalent of maybe 4 foam core boards...that would have been probably $5-$7 worth, since i catch my boards on sale at michaels or hobby lobby.

i set up an assembly line. i baked my 3 flavor of cupcakes and while they cooled, i sat down and made a template circle and cut out all the rest using it, then went back and iced the cupcakes. next i filled all my buckets halfway with the peanuts or rocks. then got my circles i had cut out earlier, layed one on top of the peanuts/rocks, and glued around the edges to keep it in the bucket. then i cut my dowels the height i needed, and shoved them one by one through the foam circle into the peanuts/rocks. next i shoved the cups down onto the dowel, did a spot of hot glue to make sure it stayed in place, then put my cupcake down on top of the cup. i finished by stuffing the open places with tissue paper and hot glueing on the ribbon.

DONE!

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

btw: i think next time you need to go up on your pricing. i did 6 standard size cupcakes per each bouquet, and i think i'd probably charge at least $40 for EACH bouquet. you're giving your client 24 decorated cupcakes, at least 24 dowel rods, at least 24 dixie cups or portion cups, a metal bucket or clay pot, peanuts or rocks, hot glue, cupcake liners, ribbon, and at least 30 minutes per bouqet assembling (including icing each one) etc....there's no way, in the long run, that you're coming out ahead...in fact, i think you may be behind a bit. consider it a learning experience and make sure you let the client know she's getting a great deal cause you wanted to try something new...ask her to keep the price under her hat, and she'll end up feeling special.

Oh I know I wont come out ahead at all on this, after seeing the cost involved with the styro balls! My special alone was for $30 each (dozen), and I just let her know that I would like to have a bouquet on my portfolio, so I was giving her an exceptional deal (which she thanked me for). I upped my "special" pricing to $35 each now, regular prices would be $48...for the large dozen bouquet. Infact most of my "special" pricing on my cakes (except wedding cakes, those are regular priced) I am not making much profit from, but just looking to get new portfolio pictures for the most part, and a LITTLE profit. It's too late now, I already quoted her the $45 for 2 of the large dozen bouquets, so I guess I have learned this mistake to quote before getting the actual COST...this being my first bouquet and all.

juleskaye518 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 19

Mixin...thank you. I looked for the tutorial and couldn't find it, but your directions make total sense!

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 19

So if I opt out of the styro BALLS I may come out ahead...if using this foam core instead? Are you talking about the foam "discs" in the same isle as the balls? Or are you talking about the foam like used for cake boards?

Since they wont be rounded on top, I probably cant fit the full dozen in one pot, right? As long as I can do 4, that will fit 6ct cupcakes, and still be cheaper than using the balls, it would be nice. For a 6ct, did you get an 8" pot, with having some "room" in it for tissue?

THANK YOU for all your help!!

mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 19

found the thread after a little bit of research.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-600270-.html

i used the regular large pieces of foam board, like kids use for their science demonstrations and stuff. i took the template i had made for the size of circle i needed (trace the top of your bucket then subtract about a 3/4" all round or so...that should let it go far enough down into the bucket...just eyeball it and make it the way you want it.) and just marked as many as i could fit onto the board...then used m exacto and cut them out.

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 19

Great idea, thanks!!

A picture is worth a thousand words! I understand now, seeing the pic, you flipped the cups upside down!!! I was thinking you stuck the cupcakes inside the cup. LOL

I am just going to change it to where my bouquets come in 6ct ea for $25 (but will give the customer I already booked 4 of these instead of 2, dozen sized ones).

ASimpleBaker Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 19

Has anyone found the tutorial yet?

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #17 of 19

Mixinvixen just posted it on the first page. Great alternative to the expensive styro balls!

ASimpleBaker Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you for posting the link!

absijails Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #19 of 19

minivixen, that tutorial is GREAT!
Thanks so much for sharing! It looks like a much more stable and inexpensive way to do the bouquets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%