My Clueless Mil And Cookie Prices

Baking By GeminiRJ Updated 30 Jun 2013 , 11:45pm by smittyditty

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 60

My MIL has suggested I set up a booth to sell my cookie cutter kit at her organization's luncheon in a few weeks. No problem, I could use the exposure. Then she asked if I could make a bunch of the 3D cookies so people could see them. Again, no problem as I had already decided to do that. Then she says, "You could even sell them! What would you charge...$1.50 each?" Can you say NO WAY? A 3" base cookie, a 3" figure cookie, a marshmallow middle, and two feet...all for $1.50? She really has no clue. Anyone elses MIL this clueless?

59 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 60

My turn, my turn!!!! My is so clueless! But not about cookie prices about other family affairs. It's almost sad really. Some of the stuff she says I feel like asking her "You were in the delivery room when your son was born, right"?

alvarezmom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 60

I like the leopard cookie! Is that a marshmellow in the middle?

GeminiRJ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I like the leopard cookie! Is that a marshmellow in the middle?

I use marshmallows, covered in the same icing as the cookies, for all the "bodies".

I probably shouldn't pick on my MIL...but she makes it so easy lately! She's the queen of the "good deal" and believes quantity is always, always better than quality.

alvarezmom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 60

BTW how much do you sell the cookies for? I like them.

At least you know you shouldnt pick on your MIL. I do it because she's easy prey! LOL

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 60

My MIL is clueless about 99% of my cake and candy stuff. What makes it worse is that she likes to pretend that she knows what she has this thing about wanting to seem like she knows about everything so she's always making assumptions about how I'm going to do something.

She does it with the kids' video games and stuff too.

It seems like she never figured out that making these assumptions makes her seem like an idiot. Even my five year old gives her funny looks when she asks dumb questions about the video game instead of just watching.

The funny thing is that she isn't a dumb person, she's rather intelligent, but she seems to have this driving need to be the expert on everything.

GeminiRJ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 60
Quote:

BTW how much do you sell the cookies for? I like them.

Thank you for liking them! Decorating cookies has become my therapy. To answer your question, I've never sold one of the 3D cookies. I don't think anyone would pay me what I think they are worth. I'm thinking I'd have to charge a minimum of $4 for one, though $5 would be preferred. I can't imagine people paying that. So that's why I made the kit.

And my MIL is easy prey, too. At a family get-together, she actually asked my husband to open a water bottle for her because she doesn't like doing it herself. Huh? "Well, your dad always did it for me." (My FIL died unexpectedly 18 months ago.)

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 60

Those are cute! You should try selling them for $4.00 and if you get a good response then up them to $5.00. You never know until you try!

Mine always tells me "I'm not trying to medel or take sits but what's going on and what are you doing to make my son mad".....Yeah not trying my behind!!! And it's awful with the kids. I'm sorry to hear about your FIL.

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 60

When my FIL died, we discovered how completely helpless my MIL is. He did everything for her, and now she refuses to do even the simplest of things for herself. She wants someone else to do her cleaning, change the lightbulbs when they go out, change the batteries when they die, and put gas in her car. She also hates to eat by herself, so she's constantly trying to find someone to go out to lunch or dinner with her. Sigh. I could go on and on! The really sad thing is that we once had a good relationship with her, and now we avoid her as much as possible.

And thanks for the nice comments about my cookies!

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 60

That's so sad. She's lonely. I bet she is just so used to having your FIL there that the thought of having to do anything for herself makes her realize that she's alone. It's such a touchy subject to tell some one to move on when they have lost the person they have spent most of their life with.

In my experience try to keep her busy. Have her join some widow groups (church, VFW, neighborhood center). Maybe that might help her and help you and your husband.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:22pm
post #11 of 60

GeminiRJ where can we order the cutters???

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 60

Sometimes it's hard to deal with your mother-in-law because she does things differently than you do. But remember that she is your husband's mother and he loves her no matter what. Also, keep in mind that YOUR mother is your husband's mother-in-law.....!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 60

Those cookies look like a lot of work, they look like they are actually 3-4 cookies plus mm. How large are the cookies? I would think a 3-d cookies would be worth $7-$10 or more depending on the size of the cookies.

I'd like to order some cutters and give them a test run to see how much I can sell them for. Are they on your website?

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 60

Oh now it's my turn - but this time it's about my SIL. I made a cookie bouquet (posted in my pic - it's the Fall one). At any rate my SIL was over last night and I was showing her a pic of the bouquet and she asked how much I charged for it; I told her around $80 and her mouth dropped. She was in shock that someone would pay that much. I told her to take a look at the "well know company" who makes cookie bouquets and see what they would charge for the same thing - probably double if not more!

I do have to say that my SIL has been struggling financially for a couple of years and she thinks that because everyone (in her opinion) is struggling financially we all (cookie and cake decorators) need to take that into consideration and give people breaks on cost! UM NOOOO!!! I told her if people have issues paying my prices it's okay, I won't be offended, they can just take their butts to Kroger or Bigg's and get their goodies there!

Okay, off of my soap box. icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 60

Yeah, I know she is lonely. She's also still angry that he died, and has decided she likes having people feel sorry for her. She's one of those people that has to be around other people 99% of the time! She has a large circle of friends and keeps herself busy, so that is not the problem. Sorry...I told myself I wasn't going to rant!

KHalstead, you can PM me and I can give you all the information on ordering the kit. The people on CC have been fantastic to work with! The positive feedback on the cookies from everyone here is what encouraged me to put together the kits, and it's been an incredibly rewarding experience.

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 60

It's always easier to rant with ppl you arent in front of! No worries! I always knew I wasnt the only on who liked to pick on their MIL's! icon_wink.gif

It's good that she is keeping herself busy. Has your DH tried talking to her? Maybe a grieving support group would do her some good????

Oh yes do you have a website?

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 60

Sorry about your MIL. I understand where you are coming from. I commented on your Wizard of Oz Cookies (Quite Awesome I Might Say) and you got right back to me with some helpful hints!! thumbs_up.gif I would love to purchase one of your kits and I agree with the other posters about pricing...$7.00 or $8.00 minimum!! Your talented and those cookies are a lot of work. Trust me anyone who buys you kit and tries this on ther own will think that price is too low!!! Good luck with your MIL and your kits!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:52pm
post #18 of 60

No, I don't have a website. It's on my wish list, but when it comes to computers, I'm a total idiot. I am just now getting a listing ready to post on ebay. So at the moment, it's just word of mouth and PM's on CC!

grammynan...I agree with everything you said. I'm also the one who's been preaching patience to my husband when dealing with his mother. It's sad to see his relationship with his mom take such a negative turn, but she's constantly complaining to him about not taking care of her and not spending enough time with her. After a while, it just wears you down.

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #19 of 60

Take a look at this place. It's very easy to set a website up and if you opt later to buy the wite it's every cheap! It's worth looking into. The set up process for the website is very easy also. They walk you through every step...you couldnt mess that up. Or could you? icon_confused.gif

www.freewebs.com

I totally agree with you GeminiRJ. I feel it is your husbands place to sit his mother down and have a long heart to heart with her. I could be wrong but it kinds sounds like your MIL is trying to replace your FIL with your DH. I know she is scared and is looking for comfort from your hubby. He really needs to talk to her about that. That's not healthy for any one.

PM me the info for the cutter's.

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #20 of 60
Quote:

I could be wrong but it kinds sounds like your MIL is trying to replace your FIL with your DH. I know she is scared and is looking for comfort from your hubby. He really needs to talk to her about that. That's not healthy for any one.

PM me the info for the cutter's.

You've hit the nail on the head. She's always had someone to take care of her, and feels that it is now my husband's job to do it. Unfortunately, he isn't about to give up all his interests in order to cater to her every need. Like I said, it's sad.

I'll PM you later today with the cutter info.

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Those cookies look like a lot of work, they look like they are actually 3-4 cookies plus mm. How large are the cookies? I would think a 3-d cookies would be worth $7-$10 or more depending on the size of the cookies.

I'd like to order some cutters and give them a test run to see how much I can sell them for. Are they on your website?

Yes, they are a lot of work. I'm not a fast decorator by any means, but it averages out to about 15 minutes for each completed cookie. So I would be happy with $5. The best part about the cookies for possibly selling is that they are great "impulse" buys. People see them and really WANT them. A couple people have even shellacked the things, rather than eat them. They put them in their curio cabinets. Which I think is quite weird!

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 60

Your MIL sounds alot like mine and I'm going to throw my DH in that mix too! However, my MIL thinks I should be charging WAY more for my cakes...(like $6-7 a slice) icon_surprised.gif I'd be outta business faster then I can open! Her son on the other hand (my DH) is driving me nuts by telling how to do things, what to charge( less is more crap), he even tried to tell me how to decorate and that I was doing it wrong! I'm sorry, but cakes are my therapy as well as a business! ( finally became licensed last week!!) I told him "until you are CEO, OWNER, HEAD CHEESE, CHEIF, etc...don't tell me how to run or do my business!" lol he looked like a deer in the headlights and hasn't talked to me in 3 days!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with your MIL and your cookie kits! You do fab work!

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:19pm
post #23 of 60

tcbalgord-LOL @ Head Cheese. My husband tried telling me the same thing, but he thinks I charge to low. He even wanted HIS name on MY business cards as being a CO-OWNER! icon_surprised.gif H E L L to tha NO!!! icon_wink.gif I told him "Edward, this is my ship. I'm Captain, the General, The CEO, COO, and I'm running my SSR ship as I see fit and if you dont like it take a life jacket and jump". He usually laughs because he always thinks I'm playing.

tcbalgord Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:22pm
post #24 of 60

Oh that cracks me up!!!!! My DH does want me to charge less, he believes that at $700 for our wedding cake it was way too much! (it was a deal if you ask me!) I will give him credit, he did all the designing for my logo, the man is wiz with the pc, but as for the rest butt out buddy, I make the money, you can spend it.....sometimes! lol

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #25 of 60

Your more generous than I am. I dont share. He can share his money with me. Besides he's one of my offical taste testers and he loves that..so that should be reward enough! Unless it tastes bad.

tcbalgord Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm
post #26 of 60

He has that job too! In fact the little devil actually sits there praying that I make some huge un-fixable mistake so he can have it! In my defense I did try to do my own logo first, but after the 3rd time of throwing the laptop i went to bed and the next morning when I woke up he had done it for me! And I actually share VERY little with him; but he is good and the "oh I left my wallet at home trick!" He pays me back though....I buy alot of good stuff for my birthday since he never gets me stuff for it! icon_lol.gif

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #27 of 60

I just wanted to say... dont be afraid to charge MORE than $5 for those cookies! The cookie that is my avatar, I charge $8/cookie for it and it DOES sell!

tcbalgord Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #28 of 60

smab I agree with you, been researching cookies on the net and people love to pay for edible works of art! Don't be shy sweetie you do amazing work!

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #29 of 60

LOL My husband did the same thing. I was making a HUGE batch of cc cookies for a lady at work. I was taking the pan out of the oven and turned to quickly. The pan hit the corner of the wall and there went the pan to the floor. Top side down! icon_cry.gif I was in shock for a second and they all came running. My husband and my son picked the pan and cookies up and started to eat them....."they said 5 second rule and I had just mopped". icon_confused.gif YUCK!!! I might have done the same thing now that I think about it. I was just in "awh" watching how fast they jumped up.

alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #30 of 60

smab is that fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%