How Does Cc Website Work?

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm by cutthecake

cutthecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone answer these questions for me? I've been viewing the CC website for a while, and I'd like to know how it works.
1. On the galleries page, why is the number of Whimsical cakes (433) and Birthday cakes (2099icon_cool.gif--and maybe the others--always the same if new cakes are being added daily?
2. Why do some "new" forum topics never appear on the homepage? What gets certain topics posted there?
3. Why are some cakes displayed for a very long time on the Home page as all-tme favorites? How are they chosen, and how often are they rotated? Are they the six most popular at that time? Or are they six selected from a pool of most popular?
4. In the galleries, does the order in which the cakes appear change? When I try to find a cake I thought I saw on a certain page, I can't always find it. Are newer cakes posted on the lower (or higher) -numbered pages?
5. How often are the "latest forum topics" changed on the home page? Seems like certain topics are there for a long time.
Just curious....thanks for answers.

3 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

Wow, lots of questions. Wish I had more answers. I do know that as the pictures are added, the cake you saw on page 2 gets pushed further and further back. Eventually, it might be on page 56! So if you see something you like, save it to your favorites.

I think the "new" forum topics are just randomly selected for the homepage. I don't believe there is any formula or reason behind the selection (but don't quote me on that!).

The pictures that show up on the homepage as "today's favorites" (and I'm guessing here) are the result of how many hits that particular picture got in the galleries, or else by how many times it has been saved to favorites. When you post pictures, you can see how many hits it gets by checking your "my photos" button, as well as how many decorators have saved that photo.

dragonflydreams Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 4
Originally Posted by gdlgdl

2. Why do some "new" forum topics never appear on the homepage? What gets certain topics posted there?

. . . some of them never appear because they are not meant to . . . example "the lounge" . . . if you want to check out what's going on in the lounge you have to do a search to get there. . . for the most part the topics that appear on the home page are cake related (with the possible exception of "general" which may or may not be "all about cake" depending on the author) . . .

cutthecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%