Cake Boards!!! I Need Help!

Decorating By calivettie Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm by Rocketgirl899

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:33am
post #1 of 13

I have been using cardboard rounds wrapped in foil! ugh... I am only a hobby baker, but I would still like to look more "professional" and not tacky with my foil! lol icon_biggrin.gif

My question:
WHAT do you use as cake boards??? And WHERE do you get them?

12 replies
Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:58am
post #2 of 13

hi i use what use to be called pinex board its perfect and can be cut yourself at home and then cover them with cake paper which you buy at a cake supplier and that comes in many different colours and patterns. I too used tinfoil in the early days till i joined a cake guild and found out more about 7 years ago.. good luck

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:06am
post #3 of 13

i put my cakes on a board the same size as the cake (cardboard round covered in press n' seal) and my finish board is usually foamcore covered with contact paper (there is a debate on here as to the foodsafety of contact paper). I then glue and ribbon to the edge of the board. The nice part of the contact paper is you can put scrapbook paper etc under it. My sister does the same as me and uses her scrapbook letter cutter and put the message on the board of her 3d cakes.

HTH

Judi

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 13

I use cake drums.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 13

Juds is right. If you put your cake on a cakeboard the same size as the cake you can then cover your board w/**anything** - fabric, wrapping paper, mylar, even newspapericon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 13

I do sheets more than anything and I cover my 13X19 rectanglar cardboards (double thickness) with white freezer paper. I used to use foil too, but I think paper looks nicer.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 13

i use masonite and usually cover the top with fondant and trim the edge out with ribbon

calivettie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 13

wow! thanx everyone! I think it may be time for me to invest in some of these items!

Judi or Kakeladi,
Would you just "glue" your cake to the board using buttercream? Or can you use actual glue??

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #9 of 13

glue your cake to board with either buttercream if thats what you are using or royal icing works well too

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:18am
post #10 of 13

I usually use a piece of non-skid mat. I've had too many cakes move and ruin my border using the buttercream to glue it.

HTH

Judi

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with Juds, the non-skid mats work great. I get a roll at the dollar store and it goes a long way. Not very expensive to use.

calivettie Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks maude,
that is a great tip! I always forget about the dollar store! icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 13

i cover my boards in cake foil.. or fondant. trim with a ribbon icon_smile.gif

I use cardboard rounds from the cake supply store. Cutting your own is so tedious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%