Merengue Powder In Buttercream

Decorating By ccarroca Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 2:36am by ccarroca

ccarroca  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 6

What exactly does it do? Does it help to ensure a crusting buttercream. I know I bought it for a reason - LOL. Now I can't remember. I need a good crusting buttercream to do an impression mold on. I want it to taste good too, so I am a little hesitant to do all shortening. However I do want it to crust. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I usually do 1 cup butter to 1 cup shortening then 2lbs powdered sugar then play with flavor and heavy cream until it looks right. I like the idea of using the powdered coffee creamer though as I saw in sugarshacks recipe.

Thanks Ladies - what would I do without you all???!!!???

5 replies
 tracey1970  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #2 of 6

You do not need meringue powder for crusting. I use hot liquid coffee creamer in place of milk/water/cream. It's so nice, and the flavour possibilities are endless.

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 6

No it does not ensure a crusting icing.
Wilton is in the business of selling p roduct. They are the ones who have suggested it makes your icing crust so you will buy it and it's something many of us have fallen for.....yep every now & then I will get out some to add to my b'cream if it seems a bit thin icon_sad.gif
What does make icing crust is the amount of fat/sugar ratio. If you cut down on the butter OR Crisco by 1/2 cup you should get it crusting that still tastes good.

ccarroca Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I am dying to try that coffee creamer thing but I have heard some people that love it and some that don't. I am going to put the powdered in the hot water and try it for sure, but Someone said that it didn't smooth well. I need a smooth cake! I like the idea though.

Deb_  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #5 of 6

ccarroca, if your using a stand mixer like a KA, I've found that if I mix the BC on the lowest speed for a LONG time it will become smoother and smoother and have no air bubbles for a nice cake finish. Also, if I'm not being totally lazy I'll sift the PS that also helps with smoothness, even though I hate to do it......especially 4lbs at once icon_cry.gif

If you need a good crusting BC, you should try indydebi's recipe, it's all shortening, but if you want more of a butter flavor you could add butter extract.

The meringue powder is good for Royal Icing, so you'll definitely use it up someday.

ccarroca Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much dkelly - good advice and I will use the meringue for royal icing - maybe that is why I bought it - I hate using raw eggs. I live in Mass to just outside Worcester.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%