Mad Hatter Cake And Fondant

Decorating By weldress Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 1:01am by kate_c

weldress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weldress Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, I'm new to Cake Central. There is a lot of great info. I can't find an answer to my question though. So does anyone know how to put fondant on a mad hatter cake without it getting all wrinkled at the bottom of each tier? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

4 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC! You will become addicted to this site. There are so many great people with such a HUGE amount of knowledge that most are willing to share.

As far as smoothing fondant, it is a slow and steady process. It helps if you can elevate your cake to allow the fondant to hang freely over the edges (like on a coffee can). Does that make sense?? icon_confused.gif Then trim off the excess. Slowly go around the cake starting at 12 o'clock, then 6 o'clock, 3 o'clock and finally 9 o'clock. Then gradually work in between lifting and smoothing each wrinkle. I can't remember who, but someone told me "one wrinkle at a time"!

When you have it all smoothed, go around and cut off the excess again. Doing a madhatter in fondant is not really any different than any other cake as long as you start off with the proper sized piece.

HTH and good luck

Mandi icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 5

Well this is a basic fondant question.. but I don't know how new you are so...

first you want to cover each tier individually, and then stack.

secondly.. check out a few of these sites for demos

Searching youtube in general is really nice icon_smile.gif good luck

weldress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weldress Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the help.

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

I love working with fondant - I love the taste, I love the texture, and its so easy to work with!!!

The only tip I have for working with fondant when you are shaping it to an interesting shaped cake, is like someone briefly mentioned, make sure it's the right sized piece of fondant.

If the fondant is too big, the weight of the excess while you work each wrinke out can pull and even tear the fondant. So before you start working it, as someone else mentioned, be REALLY SURE to cut away the excess before working it to eliminate the extra weight.

I'd love to see the photos when done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%