Hi-Ratio Shortening..have You Heard Of Ps-99???

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm by vanillabean

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I work near Elizabeth's Cake Supplies in DFW area, and they do not carry the Sweetex Hi-ratio shortening. Has anyone heard of PS-99 hi-ratio shortening? I tried doing a search and can not find a thing about it.

TIA!

10 replies
crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 11

I used PS-99 for a long time. It was all I could get and it worked well. The only thing different than the other brands I had tried was the PS-99 was a lot stiffer. I would put it in my mixer with hot water and let it beat for a little bit before adding my sugar.

The place that carried the PS-99 near me is no longer open so I have had to change brands again! I now have to use Master Chef hi-ratio.

I have never used Sweetex so I cannot compare the two for you. I can only tell you I liked the PS-99 just fine.

Hope that helps!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 11

I buy it in 50 lbs boxes from Elizabeth's. It works great for me, no problems at all.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 11

Have any of you used the PS-99 with sugarshack's buttercream recipe?

vanillabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillabean Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 11

I am using it in Sharon's bc next week. I have used in another recipe and it worked well, but I had to add extra liquid to it.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 11

Could you please post and let me know if it worked like a dream?

thanks

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:00am
post #7 of 11

We tried PS 99 after using Penguin. We being myself and Dena Bryngleson. We got a 50 lb cube and shared.

I hated it. I thought it tasted bad. I had more trouble with my buttercream using the PS 99 and so did Dena.

We both thought it was the pits. I am much happier with the Penguin and so is Dena.

JMHO

FeGe_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 11

What is Penguin?

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 11

I us PS 99. works good for me too. I get it at my local cake supply store.

vanillabean Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:45am
post #10 of 11

I will let you know my results with the PS-99 hopefully by Sunday. I have to see if I can get some more at my local shop. But now I am worried after reading the other posts. It is my only option for a cake I have coming up next week because I forgot to order Sweetex. icon_cry.gif

vanillabean Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 11

So sorry I forgot to post my results on Sunday. This week has flown by.

Uggh, I did not have great results using the PS-99 in Sugarshacks recipe. I do not know if it was me, or the method of mixing, or if the PS did not like the recipe.

I tried it out in my 4 1/2 quart KA mixer. The ratio for this would be:

4 cups PS
4 pounds powdered sugar
Then the flavoring and liquid mixture - guessed around 2-3 T flavoring and 8-9 T liquid.

My result was a very thick hard mass............so I upped the liquid and ended up putting in 1 1/2 cups liquid and 4T flavoring. I still ended up with it very thick and with tons of air holes in it. It was really hard to get it on the cake also, but I did manage to smooth it, but did have air holes (but I did not have time to use the hot scraper on it - which may have gotten them out).

So, my thoughts are that there needed to be more liquid added at the begining, and to NOT turn the mixer up over #1. I did find out with an old recipe that the PS-99 does not like speed.

I ended up trying it again with half the PS-99, the 4 pounds of powdered sugar, about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups liquid, and kept it on #1 speed, and it was beautiful!

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%