Please Need Turntable Advice Asap!

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 1:39am by Bijoudelanuit

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 5

I want to use coupon to get a turntable at Michaels this week. I have 50% off coupon. Are any of the Wilton turntables any good? I have heard horror stories about the tilting one but maybe cake has to be secured better...??? I just have inexpensive non-pedestal plastic one from class years ago.... I know you will have good advice! Thank you thank you!!!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 5

There was a thread on this not too long ago. Maybe someone has the link and can post it for you. I know that the vote was definitely do not buy the tilting one. That it wasn't the cake being secured. And I want to say that no one really liked the next one down either. But I could be wrong about that. Anyway, I'm sure that someone else will post on here and be able to answer your question. I just have the basic white plastic one and it fulfills my needs right now. =o)

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

I used that same coupon to buy the square pan set that I've been needing for a long time.
My turntable is a simple "lazy-susan" thing from walmart - $5 and it works PERFECTLY. I can stack it on top of anything I need to make it taller (I'm 5'9") Use that coupon on what you want, but you might find something that works fine for a turntable elsewhere!
Look for the thread "what piece of equipment do you regret buying" . . . .there's TONS to say about the tilting turntable. Happy shopping!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #4 of 5

I used my 50% off coupon today too...to buy a fondant rolling pin icon_smile.gif

I have the Wilton The Trim 'n Turn® Ultra, and I really like it for decorating my cakes. I decorate as a hobby mostly, so I don't see the point of spending too much on a fancy smanchy turn table right now.

thumbs_up.gif HTH

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #5 of 5

I have the Wilton Professional table and it's fabulous! I've had it for at least 8 years, it's survived home use and bakery use.. and some idiot in a restaurant that I used to work with who would pick it up from the top and slide it off the shelf... it's been used and abused and it still works perfectly. It's more pricy than the other ones, but I think it's the best option for long term use.

I did buy a tilted one, but returned it the day after I bought it. It was very poorly constructed, not stable. I didn't trust it so I put an empty cake pan on the top and the top fell right off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%