Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By KristaJ Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm by OhioBaker

KristaJ Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 6

What actually makes a buttercream crust? The recipe I usually make used to crust but the last two times I made it, the icing didn't crust over. I'm thinking that it might be because I used a different brand of butter. I saw something on here about Walmart brand butter having too much water in it. Could the problem be something like that? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

5 replies
tiggy2 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 6

The ratio of fat to sugar makes it crust. I use indydebi's recipe on this site and it crusts great.

step0nmi Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

well...it could be what brand of shortening you are using. a lot of people have been having problems with the new 0 Trans Fat Crisco...if you are using that I would say first that this would be your problem.

with the water issue...the only thing I've heard with that is that your buttercream will crust but it may be too watery and could cause your frosting to shift under the crust and leave cracks...that's all I can think of right now

saap1204 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 6

I used Cakepro's Buttercream with Trans Fat Free Crisco and it crusted beautifully. I would recommend that.

kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #5 of 6

If you are using the same recipe and making it the same way - same brands etc it could be the humidity in your area.
Which recipe are you using? Is it all butter (you mention butter) or part w/Crisco? Are you usinhg the new trans-fat Crisco?
You just may have to try another recipe. From time to time in the 25+ yrs I decorated I changed about 4-5 times.

OhioBaker Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 6

I use Indydebi's recipe and I love it! It tastes wonderful and crusts great. Give it a try. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%