Cake Box Grease Stains

Decorating By Horrorxgirl Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm by sweetcakes

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 8

Well after scouring the internet, I've found that there really isn't much to choose from as far as cake boxes go. I've decided that I'm just going to stick with the plain white ones, and stencil a logo on top.
The problem I am having with cake boxes is that if the cake even brushes the side of the box at all, I get big grease stains through it. I've been using crisco in my icing, and I wonder if maybe using a hi ratio shortening would prevent the grease stains. I have no idea. I know it looks awful though.
Any suggestions on how to prevent this? I wish they inside of the box had a coating of wax or something so this wouldn't happen.

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 8

I can tell you that Hi Ratio shortening makes no difference.

I usually use a box that's a few inches bigger than my cake. My board is always 3 inches bigger than my cake's diameter, and my box is usually a tad bigger, so I can slide it in and out without too much effort. I havent' had an issue with touching the box.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 8

yeag .... fat is fat and shortening is shortening. All of them will leave a grease spot.

Agree on using a board/box bigger than the cake and the problem will go away.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:48am
post #4 of 8

Indydebi, I have this problem too. My cakes take up all but about 1/2 inch So to get a 1/4 sheet to fit we have to spend even more money and put it in a 1/2 sheet box and so on? The cost of stuff is killing me especially stuff you throw away anyway. Is there a cheaper place to get this stuff? Or can you buy bulk since you do catering also? Thanks

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:26am
post #5 of 8

I hate the expense of the box and board. I just don't do enough cakes to buy in bulk either. It's a big bummer.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:55am
post #6 of 8

i bit the bullet and bought a few sizes of bakery boxes. i'll have 'em forever i'm sure but it does save me some grief looking for something to put cakes in.

instead of stenciling, what about making some labels on the computer with your logo and info on them. that would save a little time than individual stenciling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 8

debster, bulk is always the best bet or at least buying from a cake supply store instead of michael's or hobby lobby. I buy my boxes in packs of 100 from my cake supply store and get them for less than $1.00 each ($0.60-$0.80 each, depending on size) instead of paying $1.15 to $1.50 each at retail stores.

All in all, though, spending $1.50 instead of $1.00 for a box isn't a lot of money inside of a $60 cake. Just be sure you cost out your expenses ok to include ALL costs ... including the proper size box ... when you quote the client. thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 8

you could line your box with wax paper, if you dont want to use a larger box, but thats alot of time, and time is money. plus the cost of wax paper and double sided tape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%