Baking Trouble!! Need Help Quick!!!

Decorating By button-moon Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 8:38am by button-moon

button-moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
button-moon Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 3

ive baked plenty of cakes.....but some come out totally wrong!! i use the smae recipe, the same tins, the same temperature!!! but why do some come out so wrong!!!
my cakes are usually in the oven for 2 hours, but sometimes when ive inserted a skewer(and it comes out clean) i take my cake out the oven n leave in the pan for a couple of minutes before turning it out. Once its turned out i take the parchment off the bottom only to find the middle of the cake is really hard (almost has hard lumps in it) the outside is VERY spongy, but the middle is hard. even when cut in half i can see the middle is slightly darker and hard to the touch.....what the heck am i doing wrong!!!
does anyone know what causes this hard bit? also the rest of the cake is VERY moist...but crumbly at the same time....it doesnt seem to keep its shape very well.....please help ive baked 4 already icon_sad.gif

2 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 3

What kind of recipe are you using - what kind of cake is it? Baking for 2 hours seems long unless this is a fruitcake or a huge cake...Give us some more detail and perhaps we can help icon_smile.gif

button-moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
button-moon Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:38am
post #3 of 3

hi, its just a normal victoria sponge. in a 8" deep pan. if i dont bake them for 2 hours they come out gooey!! the temp is 140
just how my recipe says!! its driving me mad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%