Sunset / Marbled Fondant?

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm by nisha_ru

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to make fondant that looks like a sunset. Any tips on doing this?

6 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 7

do you mean like with a sun and everything if so could you color you fondant and get it like marbled dont mix it as much then cut out a sun and lay it on top ?? Sorry this is what i came up with

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #3 of 7

Make two or three shades of yellow, orange, purple(?); kneed seperately, then form into logs or snakes. Lay them next to each other then twist together 3 or 4 times *no more!* or they will become too mixed. When you roll it out they will blend and look good as the colors stretch and mix.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #4 of 7

And don't forget to turn it over before the rolled piece gets too big and thin, sometimes the back is prettier than the front, you might like the effect better!!

nisha_ru Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks! I want the "sunset" in the shape of Montana and then I'm going to do a transfer or fondant cut out of a couple riding off into the sunset. It's for a retirement cake, and the couple is moving to Montana to retire.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 7

You mean like this? http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=90827

Do as kakeladi advises. Just make sure you always work in one direction. I actually kneaded mine a couple of times in order to get lots of 'lines'.

Press 3 different colored snakes together on top of each other. Then, twist tightly. Roll into a slightly longer sausage and fold the sausage in half. Twist and roll again.

Gently press the fondant flat and roll only in the direction of the lines. Do not roll across the lines or you'll lose the effect.

Don't forget to look at the underside of your rolled out fondant. You just may like that side better!

nisha_ru Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:

Yes, something like that!
Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%