Covering Cake Board With Fondant, Please Help

Decorating By sweetums1957 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 9:48am by sweetums1957

sweetums1957 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all, I need some help here, i have looked everywhere for the answer to this question? I am wanting to cover the board to my daughters wedding cake with fondant. (never done this before) My question is can i do this in advance (how long) of doing cake and decorating it. Wanting to do all i can as early as possible cause i will be so busy the couple of days before wedding, (Oct 4). Also any pointers you can give me on doing this i would really appreciate it. Dont want the fondant to be cracked and all that stuff lol this is my daughters wedding cake and got to be prefect lol. Thank you in advance.

Patti

15 replies
PinkZiab Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 16

I use masonite cake boards and I only cover the top with fondant and I trim off the edge with a ribbon.

Here's exactly what I do: The board is 4" larger than my bottom tier (obviously leaving a 2" border all around). I spread a 2" or so band of border icing (you can use bc, shortening, corn syrup... anything to stick the fondant to) around the cake board. Roll out my fondant and lay it on here and smooth it just as on the top of a cake. Trim the edges off with a sharp paring knife straight up and down along the sides of the board. Then I take a cake circle the same size as my bottom tier, lay it in the center (use a ruler!) and trace around this with the knife. Remove the circle from the center, and let the board dry for a day or two (makes placing the cake on later easier if the fondant is dry). Then you will have a perfect fondant border that your cake with fit right into.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 16

Another way is to roll it out on the board itself then you don't have to diddle with moving it and all. I'm lazy that way.

I would recommend attaching a couple cardboard circles like 4" smaller under the bottom board (with hot glue or something secure) to make it easier to deal with in moving it and setting it up--do this before you apply out the fondant.

You can absolutely do it today for any October wedding.

Hope you have a wonderful wonderful day!!!

sweetums1957 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:36am
post #4 of 16

Thank you for your replies. My bottom layer is a 16" square, So i have cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to 20" square. So do you think that the 4" is to much space around the bottom of a 5 tier cake? I was not for sure weather to do a 2" border or 4". Also do you just hot glue the ribbon around the edge of the board? Thanks for the help on this, i keep thinking of things that i am not for sure of, so i might be back again icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the responses.

Patti

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:36am
post #5 of 16

Listen, that thing is gonna weigh a ton--What I do is keep the bottom board separate all the way through delivery then set it up. Just an idea for you.

KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #6 of 16

I would either hot glue the ribbon (usually what I do) or you can use double sided tape or even a white tacky glue that dries clear....I think the hot glue is the quickest and simplest though, but it's not great for shearer ribbons. a 16" square cake with a 20" square board WILL GIVE YOU A 2" BORDER not a 4" boarder, it's 4" larger than the cake, yes...but that will create an extra 2" of board all the way around if the cake is centered, I think that's perfect. When I determine the size of the board I usually tend to make it continue in size like the cake, for instance if my cake is an 8",10",12", then the board is a 14"....unless there is some design element on the board that I want to be seen.

leahk Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetums1957

Thank you for your replies. My bottom layer is a 16" square, So i have cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to 20" square. So do you think that the 4" is to much space around the bottom of a 5 tier cake? I was not for sure weather to do a 2" border or 4". Also do you just hot glue the ribbon around the edge of the board? Thanks for the help on this, i keep thinking of things that i am not for sure of, so i might be back again icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the responses.

Patti

A 20" square is giving you 2" around the edge of your cake- not 4".
What is the difference between your layers?

sweetums1957 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 16

Sorry i knew it was just 2 inches around it, just wasnt thinking. But i didnt know if that would be enough around it or should i do 4 inches around it? My layers are 16 square, 14 rd, 10rd, 8rd, 6rd. I went from 14 in to 10 in to set the initials on the 14 in. layer. Do you think that will look ok ? Thank you all for your help. I am hoping to be able to start decorating these on Tues. and finish them up on wed., Cause i am going to have a very busy week next week with finishing up all the wedding stuff.

Patti

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 16

I think the initials will look better on the 10 or the 8" tiers--I don't think they will be as dramatic on the 14. I mean I am picturing them on the side rather than on the top? Often they are on the side.

Anyway I'd recommend changing the 8x6 to a 7x5. You've got a lot of graduation on the bottom tiers then you go real tight with the 10x8x6--just a thought for you.

I mean there's a real wide sweep from a 16 sq to a 14 round then a two inch difference to the 10 then just one inch to the 8 and the 6. From bottom to top will look wide and flowing to narrow.

That might be what you have in mind for your design so don't mind me, but if you want a balanced look I'd swap to the 7x5.

Cut out some paper circles those sizes and play --see what you like.

Don't mind me--just brainstorming with you.

sweetums1957 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 16

What if i add another layer after the 14 add a 12 inch, would that make it look better? Why i am saying that is because i dont have a 7x5 in. pans. but i do have a 12 in. plus the others are already baked. So if i add the 12 in. it will take up the larger gap between the 14 and 10 layer. So what do you think about that??? Then the cake will be 16 sq. 14 rd. 12 rd. 10 rd. 8 rd. 6 rd. then that will all graduate by two inches?? Will that look okay then??

Thank you
Patti

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 16

That would balance better-ish but I would shave the 8 and 6--If you could cut a 7 and a 5 inch circle and place it on top of each one and just trim the edges off, y'know set it on your turntable--much easier than a whole nuther cake to deal with yes?

sweetums1957 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #12 of 16

Thank you K8 for all the help figuring this out. I think i will do the cutting of the 8 and 6 like you suggested. I should of thought of that, lol just to much on my mind right now with the wedding.

thank you again
Patti

KHalstead Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 16

sweetums, try popping your cakes into the freezer for a while before carving them, it'll make your cuts much cleaner and less crumbs for you to battle when decorating!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 16

Since you are 'in the zone', actually 'in several zones' right now--I'm gonna add this--you might already be passed this part but...when you shave the 8 & 6--take it down bit by bit and slap it with a skinny mayonnaise thick layer of crumb coat while it's still on the turntable.

I set the cake on top of my footed turntable, I set a cake pan under the side that will catch all the shavings. And my thought for you is to shave it round and round, easy by easy little by little and just keep turning the turntable instead of whacking it off to the mark at the first go 'round if you get my meaning.

And yes of course like KHalstead said, chilled or frozen cake is best.

Use a serated knife.

I know you probably know all this--I just know how spaced you get in your situation. I'm just jogging your over worked brain.

(((hug)))

sweetums1957 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:54am
post #15 of 16

thanks for the suggestions i will indeed do that. My cakes are frozen right now . I want start decorating them till Wed. and Yes i need all the help i can get right now cause my brain is dead. Had a call last nite and I have a very close uncle that went into a coma (he has cancer) So i will probably also have a funeral this week besides a wedding icon_sad.gif. So the stress level just went up another notch.

Thank you again
Patti

sweetums1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:48am
post #16 of 16

I need everyone to keep me in their thoughts this week, I just dont know if i can get everything done for my daughters wedding. Its SAT. at 6:00 pm. My Uncle passed away last nite so now i have a funeral probably wed. and a wedding cake to get done and also grooms cake. I have everything ready (cakes frozen, fondant, buttercream, hand made pearls, and all decorations for grooms cake) Now i just have to get it all put together. Hopefully i can do it all Thurs. I had my time line all made up for wed. now may have to crumb coat wed nite after i get back from funeral (two hr away). Just trying to figure this all out, and my brain is on shut down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You
Patti

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%