Covering A Moist Cake With Fondant

Decorating By Alison_Bukowski Updated 18 Oct 2016 , 4:09am by bstovall

Alison_Bukowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison_Bukowski Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 6

All:

This is my first time posting on Cake Central and I hope I am following proper etiquette. If not just let me know!

I have a question about a certain type of cake I am making and that I plan to cover with fondant. The cake is a traditional Puerto Rican wedding cake. It has a lot of butter and ALOT of eggs. When the cake is done baking and cooling, the recipe requires that you pour a brandy-flavored simple syrup on it. Here is my question: Will covering a saturated cake like this with fondant squeeze out the syrupy goodness and make a mess?

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, do you have any tips on how not to mess this up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alison

5 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 6

As long and the cake is sturdy, it shouldn't be a problem as most people put a simple syrup or jam on cakes before fondant to help adhear and keep crumbs out. But I wouldn't want to put fondant on a soaking wet cake. I am not sure how much liquid you put on, but that could cause the fondant to melt if it is excessive.

Stephanie

Alison_Bukowski Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 6

Stephanie:

Thanks for your reply! I don't think the cake will be that moist. I baked a practice cake last night and gave it the sponge bath the recipe called for. The cake was moist but not sopping and the fondant I put on the top didn't squeeze out of it or dissolve! Yay! Thanks for your help and advice!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 6

You should also put a crumb coat of buttercream on the cake before putting the fondant on. This was help seal the moisture in the cake and help the fondant stick to it. Good Luck.

Alison_Bukowski Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 6

So I made the cake and covered with fondant after crumbcoating it with bc and it worked out well. The clients loved it and no syrup leaked out or dissovled the fondant. I think I will add this to my list of best cakes ever! I'll add a picture soon. Thanks for the help!

Alison

bstovall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bstovall Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 4:09am
post #6 of 6

I have to do the same do you know the amount of simple syrup you used for the cake 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%