How Do I Get The Second Layer On Without Breaking?

Decorating By arsing1 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 10:59am by gingersoave

arsing1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsing1 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:54am
post #1 of 6

I'm making the 3 tier, square cake using the Wilton pans. I'm making a 2-layer cake on each tier. How do I stack the layers of the larger cakes without them crumbling? I can't support the whole cake while trying to stack the layer because it's too big. Any help is appreciated.

5 replies
jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:09am
post #2 of 6

put the 2nd layer onto cardboard as you slice them and then you can slide the second layer onto the first layer. I use cake boards normally but any clean cardboard will do. it makes it very easy then, to handle your cakes without breaking them.hope that made some sense and helped a little.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:11am
post #3 of 6

We are all here to help!!

What you will need to do is to plate each tier separately and then stack them. If you are going to transport this cake any distance beyond your house, you will also want to insert some wooden or plastic dowels through them to anchor them in place and prevent sliding.

Go and check out the forums in the How do I? section and type in Stacking and Doweling in the search engine.

There are sooo very many great decorators in the CC that can provide endless help to you...take advantage of all of it you can!!

Welcome to the CC and happy caking!!! Now I've got to go and check on my last layer and see if it's ready to come out of the oven!

Lisa

icon_biggrin.gif

arsing1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsing1 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:11am
post #4 of 6

Thank you sooooo much! I don't know why I didn't think of that. The simplest things escape me! Thanks again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:50am
post #5 of 6
gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:59am
post #6 of 6

I also posted on your other thread, but if you put your dowels in only halfway then put on your next tier, it will slowly go down into the cake without getting any fingers into your cake.

I hope that helps and is the info you are looking for.

good luck!

welcome to CC by the way!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%