Ginormous Chalice Cake

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 9

I haven't opened a picture page here in CC--because probably I'm too lazy. But here's a link if you wanna see it--it's a ginormous chalice cake.--the chalice is foam and chocolate. I made the plateau too.

It's the second photo there in that portfolio

http://lindenwoodcc.com/InfoCenter/PhotoGallery/tabid/179/AlbumID/635-35/Default.aspx

8 replies
kimblyd Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 9

Wow! That is a ginormous chalice! (I just had to look because I didn't know what a chalice was....) icon_redface.gif

How on earth did you roll your chocolate out big enough to cover the foam? I have a lot of trouble with mine unless I am working with small pieces. Guess that is why I haven't tried covering an entire cake with fondant....

Great cake BTW. Very impressive. thumbs_up.gif

Kim

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #3 of 9

I rolled it out on a big plastic sheet (probly silicone) that I got for rolling out fondant. I got it from Geraldine Randlesome--it's really nice. Some folks use upholstery plastic to roll out stuff on but I was never convinced that it was food safe. Mine is food safe for sure. Then of course you just plop the plastic as well as the rolled out fondant or chocolate onto your piece and gently plull the plastic off. wa la

That's my second try to get it covered. And of course the warmth of your hand erases any seams & stuff where any patching might have occured. icon_rolleyes.gif

That particular chalice is that church's logo so...it's supposed to be red but I just didn't dig the red for a 50th so I took some artistic liberty. icon_lol.gif

Thank you, Cake-Buddy.

kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:00am
post #4 of 9

K8, K8!!!!!!!! WOW icon_smile.gif You done good gal.
Is the chalice cake? How did you get it to stay up there?? What kind of amature did you use?
How lig is the bottom cake?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 9

The bottom cake is a chunky little 16" --it's filled with lemon cream, berry filling (all fruit no additional starch--I have leftovers and it still is not weeping--I'm so proud of that stuff) and then a combo in the middle, a lemon berry. And I did a Grand Marnier splash that I cooked allll the alcohol off--there was more alcohol in the vanilla than in the (simple syrup) splash

But umm it's just one of those floating tiers tubes with one of the plates that the tube fits into snucked down hiding under the 16--the chalice top is 12x12. I think the tube is 20" or 24"?

This church (mine) is enamored with sheet cakes. The overall feeling is anything other than a sheet cake is 'too much'. icon_rolleyes.gif So I made the chalice non-edible on purpose--woulda been funner to make it edible but then some might cluck 'how do we serve that oh my oh my'. So I just used foam inside. Then they only had to cut & serve one cake. I'm slowly working on it (them) y'know?!

Thanks, Cake-Buddy

OhMyGanache Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 9

So is there a picture of you in there somewhere? icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

I don't like to be around where my cakes are served. I took off after set up.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2290831040054976741rgIkkF

^^^Brownen Weber is on the left and I am on the right.^^^

Where's your picture??!!

OhMyGanache Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I don't like to be around where my cakes are served. I took off after set up.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2290831040054976741rgIkkF

^^^Brownen Weber is on the left and I am on the right.^^^

Where's your picture??!!

Great pic! I got to have a photo taken with her at Cake Camp this year - isn't she the sweetest? (And her fiance' the HOTTEST?!?)

Unfortunately, I stopped posting pics, or any other personal info here a while back. A few people here can be pretty childish - and I don't have the time to deal with other people's pettiness. LOL!

I can tell you, I'm simply adorable though! Heh. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 9

Yes I love Bronwen. I loved her clown class--it was so user friendly. Just show up and learn a ton and take home an incredible sculpture. Guess what? My son and I are both her students 'cause he had her in culinary school the last year she taught in Austin at TCU. She has such a bouyant infectious spirit. Yes the fiance is easy on the eye--rather tatooed but each to his own. Her whole crew is exceptional.

Oh I completely understand about getting slimed. So far so good for moi.

I could tell you were adorable. For sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%