How Do I Make Fish Cake

Decorating By Bohnlo Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 12:05am by Bohnlo

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #1 of 10

Need Help!!! Need to make a fish cake for co-workers father's 60th b'day.
It needs to feed approx 30-35. Have another cake due same day. How do I go about making a fish cake, not overly elaborate, as she would not want to pay $$$$ for extensive work. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA'
Lori

9 replies
whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 10

I saw a fish cake in a Colette Peters book. She made hers by cutting the fish from a 13x9 sheet cake, (football shape cut from corner to corner). She then covered it in fondant and used the back of a decorating tip and pressing into the fondant at an angle so you could get a half moon impression. Fins and tail were made out of fondant as well. Its in "Colette's Cakes: The art of Cake Decorating" if you need the reference. Not sure how many it will serve though. Hope that helps.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 10

Not sure if this is what your looking for but I found this site...hope it helps.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50135

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 10

If you go into the gallaries on this site and do a search for fish, it will give you 39 pages of pictures that might help to give you some ideas.

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #5 of 10

I made a fish cake for my boyfriend's birthday last year (you can look at my pics - it was my first attempt, so it wasn't the greatest!). It was pretty easy to do - I just made the cake and then froze it so it was easier to carve. I forget what pan I baked it in, but I cut out an almond type shape for the body and then cut out the tail part. Then I just covered it in fondant and then made the fins out of fondant and attached that. After that I painted it with luster dust and put it on a bed of lettuce in a baking dish. I hope that helps at least somewhat icon_rolleyes.gif so if you have more questions I can try to answer them! icon_biggrin.gif

Bohnlo Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone for your replys. I think I will try carving it out of the 9x13. I think that might need 2 layers to feed 35? Not sure about that, but I don't think 9x13 will feed everyone. Thanks again I knew I could count on CC'ers
Lori

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #7 of 10

Hi I did one and it was super super easy and very cute. I used a large square pan and cut it. Then used the corners to make the tail. It is from one of the wilton year books.
THere is a picture in my photos.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

You could do a stacked cake with the fish on top of a uncut 9X13.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 10

I made a different kind of fish cake for my dad for his birthday. It had the 3D fish head coming out the top of the cake and the tail from the side. I made it from RKT. It's in my photos. It was a lot of fun to make!

Jodie

Bohnlo Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Jodie F and 282513 your fish cakes were awesome! I never thought about using rice krispy treats! I'll have to give that a try and see if I can make it look like a fish. Will post picture when its done, thanks to everyone for all your help!!!!
Lori icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%