What Type Of Cake Stand Should I Use For....

Decorating By jaklotz1 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm by leah_s

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:19am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a wedding cake next month that is very similar to the one pictured. I do a lot of tiered cakes but none are spaced. Can anyone share with me what type of stand/spacers I need to use for this cake as well as any other considerations that I need to take into account when doing it?

Thanks so much for your help!
LL

3 replies
OriginalSugarChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OriginalSugarChef Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:11am
post #2 of 4

Spacers and support are always topics of great debate, but here is how I would do this cake...
1. Separate the tiers with plates and pillars. I do a pillar "sandwich" with plates on both sides for the pillars to lock onto.
2. Dowel the cake tier, glue a plate, upside down, with buttercream to the top of the cake, add pillars, top with plate. Make sure these plates are the size of the next smaller tier going on top.
3. Use pillars that are 3", otherwise they are too tall and you need a ton of flowers to fill it.
4. Repeat process for each cake going on top. I usually ice my cake, place it on the plate, place the plate for the next tier on top of the cake, and transport it all unassembled. Then once on site, I put my pillars in place, stack it up, then cover all the pillars with the flowers I am stuffing it with.

You can also use a center post stand if you have one. But the above method works if you do not.
Hope it all makes sense. Good luck.

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 4

I couldn't get the pic to come through, but I'm guessing that hidden pillars would work great. They're made by Wilton and the separator plates fit right into them. They are 6" long and come in a package of 4. So, if your tier is the standard 4" high, you will have a 2" space between. They push right down into the tier so there's no need for using dowells as they serve that purpose. If you have more questions, please email me.
Dana
[email protected]
www.cakekeepsakes.com

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 4

Easy. SPS of course! Use the multi-piece pillars and use the original piece + one extender. That will give you 3" of airspace in which to lay the flowers. This one you will carry in each tier separately, stack onsite, and then lay in the flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%