My Brothers Wedding Cake

Lounge By ccwkg Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm by ccwkg

ccwkg Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 9

My brother got married 4 hours away from where we live. I couldn't let this happen without making the cake so I was determined to find a way. So, I baked the cake earlier in the week and froze it. Not what I normally like to do but in some situations, you do what you have to. I got to our hotel room and realized we forgot cake spatulas. No problem a quick trip to Walmart and I'm in business. Well come to find out, Walmart is a 45 minute drive away. AAAAHHH Starting to stress now. I went to the local grocery and the only thing I could find was a pie server. I walked down every single isle in the place and there was nothing else. So, I went back to my hotel room , with my pie server, stressing. I completely stressed out for nothing because it worked. Not as well or as easy but my brother and his wife had a cake that they loved and now I can say I can decorate a cake with a pie server. It just goes to show what you can do if you are determined. Thank you for letting me share my accomplishment!

8 replies
margaretb Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 9

(I'm cheering for you -- grace under pressure!)

mommicakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 9

Glad that it worked out well for you. My brother is getting married next fall too. He has asked me to do the cake for him. OF COURSE I will I told him, (I live about 3 hours away from him too) so I can already feel your stresses!! icon_lol.gif

ccwkg Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 9

Doing the cake there wasn't too bad. I believe that if I would have had all of my supplies, it would have been a breeze. It also didn't help that the fridge in our room didn't work. Thank goodness the one in my parent's room was nice and cold and only a few doors down. The maintenance men men that were trying to fix ours got a kick out of the fact I was decorating a wedding cake in the room. Every time they came back they had to check my progress. I heard one guy as he was walking out the door saying "Did you see that big mixer?" It was very comical

mommicakes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 9

What a bummer about the fridge. Glad it all worked out though. That is way too funny about the maintenance guys. I would have replied to them if I overheard them about the "big mixer". See cake decorators have big tools too!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

did you post a picture of the final cake? I would love to see what it looked like. icon_biggrin.gif

ccwkg Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #6 of 9

not yet but I plan to after I have some time to go through my pictures and find a good one.

ccwkg Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:41am
post #7 of 9

I found one and it's in my pictures now.

mommicakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:52am
post #8 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Very nice job. Who knew that a pie server would do that. DH told me that if it happened to me like that, I would have tried to use the room key card to smooth the icing. LOL! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

ccwkg Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 9

LOL!! What ever it takes! hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%