Uhhhhh.... Crazy Mom Wants Crazy Cakes For 4 Yr Old Bday...

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm by shellzey

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #1 of 52

Soooooo i got asked if i could make ALL the characters from the movie CARS............ like each one a mini cake............... anyone have any idea HOW the heck i could pull this off?? I mean one scuplted cake is alot of work.. This sounds crazy to me. Anyone have any ideas or instructions on how to make each one????????????????????? in a MINI size??? PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!

51 replies
sari66 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #2 of 52

Well I do know that there is a cake pan that has several mini car shapes on it that could help you,
(just can't remember who makes it) but as for using a copy righted product to make them I wouldn't.

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #3 of 52

Well first things first.. making them and selling them wouldn't be legal to do so there's your out. They are copyrighted images and you could get in trouble for making them and selling them.

Secondly.. mini means mega price.. so let her know up front that each cake will be $100.00 due to the small size and small details that take forever to do.

Then show her a design for a sweet normal cake that you can place toys on so she can have her theme and still be in the realm of what is legal. Something like a dessert scene or a race track.. could be a 2 tiered cake or a single. Easier for you.

Now if you were giving it away you could make anything you want.. but I'm thinking all that work and you wouldn't be doing it for free.. at least I'd HOPE.. icon_wink.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #4 of 52

So i couldnt make a carved cake that looked like the charaters? Maybe make them look a little differnt so its not the same? I was really hoping she would let me use little toy cars or something u could put on a cake.. maybe ill run that by her and let her know that the price will be very high dur to the detailed work that would have to be done. Im afraid that once this ladies mind is set she wont budge (shes my sisters friend) so i kinda know how she is. But i will forsure try to steer her towards something eles!!! Or give her a crazy price that she wont like and force her to change her mind!! hahah

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 52

If it even looks remotely like one of them.. or if you call it Mo' Tater or Thunder McKing.. it's all still illegal. It goes for all licensed characters.. Elmo, Spongebob, The Little Einsteins, Pooh Bear.. you name it.

If you wanted to do it for free.. nothing at all for ingredients, labor, anything.. no exchange of money or services.. then you could make her anything you want because you wouldn't be profitting from it, but once you accept even a penny from her for it it's illegal.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=375103

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=66613

I'd show her some pictures like the ones above and see if she could dig that. If not I'd have to pass.. it's not worth it to me to take that risk.

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 52

Thanks so much for the advice!! I appriciate it ALOT!!

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 52

SO im guess that everysingle CArs cake that is posted on here was made for free then? Cuz there is ALOt... lots of nice ppl out there! lol

mbelgard Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleesha

SO im guess that everysingle CArs cake that is posted on here was made for free then? Cuz there is ALOt... lots of nice ppl out there! lol

While there is a good chance that some people did sell some of them and didn't get caught there are alot of people on here who have kids/grandkids/nieces/nephews that they might have made something for.

There are many of us here that don't sell.

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 52

gotcha icon_smile.gif

KrisD13 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 52

I made Lightning McQueen for my niece cause I love her to pieces. icon_biggrin.gif

pkinkema Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 52

Here's a suggestion:

What about a cupcake tree, easier for the kiddos to eat, and each little ccake could have a car on it for the kids to take home as a favor!

Cupcakes are such a 2008 thing!

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 52

Bummer.....My nephew likes Cookie Monster and for his 2nd B-Day in december I'm making him a huge Cookie Monster cake.

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 52

If you make it as a gift you can still make Cookie Monster for him.. icon_smile.gif You just can't sell him.

charleezgal Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 52

Just curious, has anyone ever ran into "copy" trouble? If so, icon_cool.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 52

I worked at a professional bakery... and we ALWAYS did copy-right stuff. My boss didn't care. Guess he never got caught.

We probably did 20-30 cakes a week that were of copyrighted material. He would tell them to tell people if they asked.. that they got it from Publix...

If you are doing it for friends or family and they pay for materials (which includes labor) I would just not worry about it. IF you advertise.. i might look into it.

Pebbles1727 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 52

Wow, I did not know that. So how in the world all of these birthday cakes with pictures of characters get sold? And what about character pans sold by Wilton, they can only be used for personal cakes?
Very interesting topic...
P

RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 52

Back to the original point of this topic... I would tell her that yes you can do all the characters, but since she wants them "mini" that there won't be a whole lot of detail unless she wants to pay you for all the extra time miniaturizing everything. I would suggest to her that she gets one big character as it would be more cost effective for her and it would be as detailed as the original. Better to have one great cake rather than 10 so-so ones.

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 52

The character pans are clearly labled on the packaging that they are for home use only. There are edible images you can purchase to put on cakes and deco-pac stuff.. you can place toys on cakes since you have paid the royalties to the company when you purchased the toys.. you can put paper cut out that you have purchased (like paper plates and things) on cakes.. you just cannot make your oen rendition and sell it.

Sure people do it.. me.. I don't care to take the risk.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #19 of 52

I say make them if you want. Im sure the copyright police wont come knocking on your door. If they do say you did it for free. Some people will refuse to do cakes like this but its all up to what you wantto do. The Disney police have never come knocking on my door icon_lol.gif and if they did Id just say I made it for free as my gift. Dont let the copyright thing scare you away. I would try to talk her out of wanting seperate cars if she doesnt go for it tell her each car will be $75 icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:30pm
post #20 of 52

I just love the advice to break the law.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do it if you want.. is it highly likely you will be carted off? No.. but why risk it when you can make something that represents the theme and not break the law?

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I just love the advice to break the law.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do it if you want.. is it highly likely you will be carted off? No.. but why risk it when you can make something that represents the theme and not break the law?

Yes I think it is GREAT advice!!! Better than trying to scare her off by all the copyright BS

Kahuna Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #22 of 52

Hey guys,

Just had to say Publix is very stringent about the copyright thing. When I workd there someone took an order for a groom's cake with Mr. T (I pity the fool) which I thought was hilarious. The poor bride's maid cam to pick it up and they told her they couldn't make it because of copyright issues. I felt soooo bad for the girl she was beside herself. I thought it was really [email protected] that no one had called her and told her of the problem. She comes to pick up the cake and they were like "Oh Sorry" Just had to chime in. DD beckons, talk to you soon

CakerBaker1979 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #23 of 52

Totally. People sell cakes like that all the time, I bought a Mickey Mouse one last year for a friend's birthday.

itsloops Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #24 of 52

I would make it. So what?

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm
post #25 of 52

icon_rolleyes.gif Of course you'd think it's great advice Roxxxy.. it's your advice. And maybe you can be okay with giving unsound advice.. I can't be.

Sorry if I don't prescribe to your line of thought that if you don't get caught it's okay.. I'd much rather play it safe than have to lie to get out of trouble. And I'm not trying to scare anyone.. just passing on info. Some people have no idea that you aren't supposed to make cakes like that for sale, and in her original post she didn't sound like she really wanted to go through the trouble of making a bunch of mini cars anyway so I was letting her know she had a solid out.

Editing to add on..

If people ask questions about the copyright laws and I answer them that doesn't make me the scare tactic queen. I'm not some prissy prude *moderator edited* sitting on my high horse. I have my vices just like we all do.. I probably have more than most, I just don't do things that could be detrimental to my family's well being. I have 2 kids and a house and a husband who would suffer if I ever was to be prosecuted for copyright infringement so that is my main motivation. If I ever got heavily fined for making an Elmo cake I'd never forgive myself. For these same reasons it was very important to me to get licensed and legal before even thinking about selling cakes.. we all have our own reasons for doing what we do. I know that in the beginning I had no idea that you couldn't sell a Spongebob cake and I was appreciative when someone informed me otherwise.. I'm jst trying to offer the same information. Copyright infrigement isn't BS. The level of risk you are comfortable with is up to the individual though.

Again.. I originally mentioned the copyright stuff because she seemed to be looking for a way out of doing it at all. Then I answered questions posed to me. Everytime this comes up and I answer questions I get treated like I AM the copyright police.. it gets old.

What you choose to do personally is none of my business. I am not going to tell you how to live your life. I give advice, answer questions and move on.

kellymarie Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

If you make it as a gift you can still make Cookie Monster for him.. icon_smile.gif You just can't sell him.

Sell her nephew??!! icon_surprised.gif

just kidding. i am tired and that's how i read it lol... need coffee!!

FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #27 of 52

LMAO.. well that wouldn't exactly be legal either.. icon_lol.gif

kellymarie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #28 of 52

ha ha , i sure hope not!

i guess it's a little late for coffee, oh well. icon_rolleyes.gif

gotta go, my one year old is colouring daddy's lcd tv with crayola crayons! i might have to sell her now! lol

is there a thread here for removing crayon from expensive electronics???

icon_cry.gif

FromScratch Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #29 of 52

LMAO.. we could go in on an eBay ad.. a three for one sale?? My two were on my last good nerve tonight too.

I just peeked at your website.. I love your cakes.. you could/should charge a LOT more. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

just_for_fun Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #30 of 52

I don't think jkalman will report anyone that sells a copyrighted cake, she is just advising the OP that it is not legal to sell such a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%