What Response Do You Get When You Use Food Writers ?

Baking By topaz176 Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm by shiney

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 13

I am baking some cookies right now, and I am planning to decorate it as smileys for a friend of mine. I will use yellow RI and black food writer.
But I am afraid that she might think I used sharpies icon_eek.gif

12 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 13

I've had one or two people ask about the markers, but I just assure them that they are made with food coloring and they don't give it a second thought. I wouldn't worry about it. icon_smile.gif

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #3 of 13

Topaz, I'm doing the same thing, have to write with food writers because of limited space on each cookie. I hadn't really thought of people thinking it was a sharpie, but I do get people ask me all the time if the sugar dragees are edible. I'm thinking, like, what, I'd put BBs on your cookie? icon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #4 of 13

An idea for you doing a cookie with a real simple design like a smilie face is to thin a bit of cookie dough out with milk or water and pipe the smilie on before you bake.

Just a smilie thought for you.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 13

You could just tell her upfront that you used an edible marker. I did that with my soccer cookies and it wasn't a problem. Just a thought.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 13

I use the edible markers all the time, people just say....how did you do the writing and I say "with food coloring" and they say "mmmmmmmm" as they bite into the cookie! lol

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 13

I did smiley cookies (in my photos) and I just used thinned black royal icing! icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 13

You can buy those really yecky food markers at our grocery store with the funny gel pens and Canned frosting...so I guess people see those and just never asked me if I used an edible marker...I use them all the time for bow name tags..sure makes life easier!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 13

shiney
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topaz, I'm doing the same thing, have to write with food writers because of limited space on each cookie. I hadn't really thought of people thinking it was a sharpie, but I do get people ask me all the time if the sugar dragees are edible. I'm thinking, like, what, I'd put BBs on your cookie?

......sorry to stray from the OP, but metallic dragees are not edible. Every website that I have seen to purchase gold or silver dragees say they must be removed before eating.

Is there a specific brand out there that is edible?

shiney Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 13

Krissie, everything I've seen says safe to eat, but not fda approved (or something like that) I don't use them a lot, but occasionally.
Thanks for the info.

shiney Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #11 of 13

Krissie, I looked at my silver dragees, and they said not recommended for consumption (but I know my family has eaten them.) But to be on the safe side, I tossed them. My white and pink, they are fine for consumption. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 13

No problem! I was actually hoping that you had some other brand that I could look for!! icon_smile.gif

shiney Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 13

the ones I've seen online say safe to eat, but not fda approved. But I'm thinking I'll stick to non-silver

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%