Carving A 3-D Cake Shape?

Decorating By ruthieb1975 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm by mamacc

ruthieb1975 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 5

Another question from me!

When carving out the shape of a 3-D cake is it acceptable practice to 'build up' awkward bits with cake 'scraps' (sorry I don't know correct terminology) to achieve the desired shape?

Secondly, what do you use to secure everything in place? Buttercream?

Thanks in advance

This is my first ever cake - other than regular spongecake - and it is for my son's 4th birthday. He wants 'Roary the Racing Car' (see attached pic) who is a cartoon character over here in the uk - not sure if you have him in the States.
LL

4 replies
Kitagrl Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 5

I usually do whatever works! Built up cake scraps, extra buttercream, rice krispy treats, etc!!! If its edible and it works, its good enough for me. LOL. Also buttercream secures everything pretty well, sometimes royal is good for wheels....and a bit of water on the fondant pieces to stick together.

Good luck!

mamacc Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, it's ok somewhat....but personally I try not to use scraps too much. It also depends on where the scraps are going on the cake...sometimes rice krispie treats are better.

Good luck and have fun!

ruthieb1975 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:45am
post #4 of 5

Thanks, it was just really to fill in any gaps/lumps/bumps that might appear! lol

I have done two practice runs but I did them with regular sponge which I didn't realise is harder to carve, so I've got a new recipe for the real thing. I baked one earlier so will set to work on it tomorrow!

mamacc Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthieb1975

Thanks, it was just really to fill in any gaps/lumps/bumps that might appear! lol

I have done two practice runs but I did them with regular sponge which I didn't realise is harder to carve, so I've got a new recipe for the real thing. I baked one earlier so will set to work on it tomorrow!

Chilling or freezing the cakes helps make carving easier. Also, you can use cake spackle to fill in the gaps....it's just cake mixed with buttercream. You can adjust it with more or less buttercream to suit what you are doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%