Please Post Best Fondant Recipe- Not Mmf

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 4:22am by Sugarflowers

brea1026 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 11

Hi CC'ers,
I am getting ready to make a 5 tier wedding cake on Oct. 4th and need some advice. I make MMF for most of my cakes, but I don't want to use it this time for a few reasons. First the cake needs to be pure white, and my mmf is always a little cream. Also, I tend to get more imperfections with mmf- tiny tiny bubbles, etc. I need the fondant to be perfectly white and consistant.

I live in AZ where it is still 100 degrees so I am hesitant to use Satin Ice. I have used it 2 x's before at this time of year and both times the cakes got cracks in them! UGH! I really likes working with the satin ice, but I don't want to chance any cracks.

So if anyone has any advice on what recipe I can make, or if there is something other than satin ice that works really well, please let me know.

10 replies
StephyBaby Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 11

Have you tried chilling the cakes after you cover them for about 10 or 15 minutes before stacking. I made a 4 tier square wedding cake in the middle of summer in SC and it worked beautifully.

MissRobin Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 11

If you knead a little shortening into it, it should help with the cracking. I had that problem with SI, until I tried the shortening.

nisha_ru Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 11

I really like Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant... My kids eat it like candy! icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 11

Fondarific is soft yet easy to work with (not sticky). It covers any shape cake with ease and comes in a great buttercream flavor. However, it may be too soft for cutting out shapes like flowers.

I haven't tried FondX yet, but I can't stand Satin Ice and I've always wanted to compare FondX to it.

To make MMF whiter, just add Wilton or Americolor's "bright white".

I never have issues with my MMF--perhaps you're getting too much air when kneading? icon_confused.gif

pkinkema Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 11

The texture of fondant is what I generally object to. I HATE to see folks peel off the gummy fondant part and try to get to the soft buttercream.

How does Michelle's fondant do?

You just can't beat it for looks, but, IMHO, in the end, it's gotta taste as great as it looks!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 11

Michele's fondant tastes wonderful! I can eat it by itself and with cake. icon_smile.gif

i've heard great things about fondariffic too, in that you can work with it for a long time and it won't dry out. they have awesome flavors and colors too and also the customer service is great.

pkinkema Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 11

Cupcakeshop: Does the recipe for Michelle's fondant have the gummy texture? Or does it meld into the buttercream and cut nicely? Think there would be any peeling off the buttercream to eat??

kimmybritt Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 11

Hi all. I'm a newbie and this is my first post. The Michelle Foster recipe was delicious with lemon extract added. Don't know how it will hold up to that heat. I found a recipe online called Rolled Fondant for Debbie. It is by far my favorite and I have received many compliments on it.

3 tbs water
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tbs glycerine
2 tbs shortening
8 cups powdered sugar

Sprinkle gelatin over water and let soften 2 to 3 minutes. Put container in pan of hot water to dissolve. Stir in corn syrup, glycerine and shortening.
Stir until almost melted and remove from heat. Place PS in large bowl and make a well in the center. Add Gelatin mixture and stir with greased spoon until blended. Mix with lightly greased hands and knead vigorously in the bowl until most of the sugar is incorporated. Turn onto smooth surface that is dusted with PS and knead until smooth. Wrap fondant tightly in plastic wrap and place in airtight container. It will firm slightly upon standing.
Source: from the cookbook, Rose's Celebrations

Hope you like it.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by pkinkema

Cupcakeshop: Does the recipe for Michelle's fondant have the gummy texture? Or does it meld into the buttercream and cut nicely? Think there would be any peeling off the buttercream to eat??

it doesn't taste gummy at all. you can roll it thin so that when you bite into it, it kinda melts into the BC. icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #11 of 11

To make it or any other fondant white, then white food coloring must be added to it. If you look at the ingredients list for white commercial fondants titanium dioxide is listed. This is white food coloring. The off color comes from the gelatin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%