Nfsc Rock!!!

Baking By mandifrye Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm by toleshed

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 12

I have only decorated cakes in the past. I mean, as a mother, I have made my fair share of cookies, but as far as really decorating, NEVER!

Well, I have been asked to provide the Baby shower cake for my son's teacher (and some coordinating cookies for the classroom of children icon_surprised.gif )

So, I decided I had better practice by making some cookies for my daughter's class. I mean they are in 1st grade, if I mess up, only the teacher will know!!!

I made my first batch of NFSC dough and rolled away. I hand cut (using a hand drawn template) 45 (4 inch) apples. I also decided that the two teachers needed little green worms attached. I fell in love with this dough. It baked perfectly, tastes great and was sooo much fun.

I decorated with Jennifer Dontz's fondant and Toba's Glace and I think that turned out precious.

I have a picture and as soon as I get my "new" usb cable from my camera manufacturer (son broke the original) I will be posting them with a slew of other pictures of my adventures in baking.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that I loved making these cookies and I want to be doing it more often. Hello cookie bouquets, here I come!

Thanks for reading,
Mandi

11 replies
Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 12

Watch out Mandi....you'll get addicted...just like the rest of us! Welcome to world of cookie decorating! icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 12

icon_twisted.gif Now you're one of us! Bua-ha-ha-ha-ha. icon_twisted.gif

They're great fun aren't they??!!

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 12

any tips on how you made your own handcut template? I am wanting to do some but don't have a cutter- just wondering how you did it.

mandifrye Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 12

Edee-

I just followed one of the other posts I read about here on FABULOUS CC, however, I don't know who originally posted it icon_surprised.gif !!

I just drew out the shape I wanted onto cardstock. You could use clip art to get your shapes if you don't want to hand draw!!

Cut it out and covered it in contact paper. Worked like a charm, but it was time consuming. I also made a slightly smaller template with out the stem for the inside of my apples. I am in love with Jennifer Dontz's fondant, and I SUCK at using tips. So, I cut down the use of the bag to a minimum!!!

HTH

By the way, I am already so addicted. I made a batch of NFSC yesterday and cut out halloween shapes for cookie bouquets for my kids teachers. I bagged them and froze them. That way, all I have to do is put them on a tray to bake and decorate away. October is always busy for me, so I hope this will cut out one extra step!

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 12

thanks alot mandifrye. I want to try it.

Yes the NFSC is addicting. I have some frozen dough in the freezer just calling my name. But I'm trying to watch my weight-- cookie dough---weight---cookie dough---weight??? They are so yummy I cannot ever eat just one.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 12

mandifrye
When do you insert your sticks? Before freezing or after they are baked or when?

toleshed Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 12

Also
is this fondant a recipe here on CC?
Thanks

mandifrye Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 12

Toleshed - to be honest, I have only made ONE cookie bouquet EVER! I didn't like the recipe and it took me FOREVER to get the nerve up to try again, and I am so glad that I did!!

When I did it last time, I just inserted the stick before baking (to make a hole) and then I removed the stick prior to sticking them into the oven. After decorating, I glued the stick into the premade hole with a dab of icing! Let dry completely before arranging. ( I learned that the hard way icon_cry.gif )

However, I have read many post from others that are EXPERTS in the cookie art field and they all have their own way. I am not sure that there is a wrong way, just whatever works for you. I have even read that some people glue the cookie onto the stick on the back!

As for the fondant, I am currently using a recipe from allrecipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Fondant/Detail.aspx

and I purchased Jennifer Dontz's DVD for her recipe. Her website is http://www.jenniferdontz.com/index.php

I just use half of the recipe in my homeade fondant. But, you might want to try the fondant with out, too. I think it is still good, but not nearly as good as Jennifer's. But it is just as easy to work with!!

HTH, I LOVE CC!

mandifrye Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 12

Toleshed - to be honest, I have only made ONE cookie bouquet EVER! I didn't like the recipe and it took me FOREVER to get the nerve up to try again, and I am so glad that I did!!

When I did it last time, I just inserted the stick before baking (to make a hole) and then I removed the stick prior to sticking them into the oven. After decorating, I glued the stick into the premade hole with a dab of icing! Let dry completely before arranging. ( I learned that the hard way icon_cry.gif )

However, I have read many post from others that are EXPERTS in the cookie art field and they all have their own way. I am not sure that there is a wrong way, just whatever works for you. I have even read that some people glue the cookie onto the stick on the back!

As for the fondant, I am currently using a recipe from allrecipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Fondant/Detail.aspx

and I purchased Jennifer Dontz's DVD for her recipe. Her website is http://www.jenniferdontz.com/index.php

I just use half of the recipe in my homeade fondant. But, you might want to try the fondant with out, too. I think it is still good, but not nearly as good as Jennifer's. But it is just as easy to work with!!

HTH, I LOVE CC!

mandifrye Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 12

don't know what happened, sorry about the double post!!!

toleshed Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 12

I am one that "glues" the stick onto the cookie after its baked. But I'm always looking for a nicer way. But that works good. Right now I use Rhondas ultimate fondant which works great. But you just caught my interest with this one. I've never heard of it. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%