Does Crusting Butter Cream Taste Good?

Decorating By UltimateCakes Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm by saramachen

UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

You've all suggested that i use the Mel Roller method to ice a cake smooth. I did a search on CC and it suggested Crusting Butter Cream. Does it still taste good?
LL

6 replies
jammjenks Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Of course it does. What type of bc do you typically use? I only use a crusting one.

indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

Depends on the recipe, of course, but the outside of the icing crusts ... the inside is still nice and soft and delish!

UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 7

I have always used the Wilton BC recipe. Tastes great and never lets me down. But I am going to make a practice cake using dummies soon and want to get the "fondon't" look (lol) but do not wish to compromise the taste.

kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 7

Taste is subjectiveicon_smile.gif What tastes good to me might not to you.
There really isn't much difference between cursting and non cursting b'cream.
Non crusting usually is creamier.

UltimateCakes: If you are going to make dummy cakes why do you care what it tastes like??? Who is going to eat it? icon_smile.gif
There are soooooooo many great recipes out there why don't you try o ne or two....Wilton's BC is not the top of the line.

DsLady614 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 7

Personally, I think the Wilton recipe is rather... ummm... not so tasty. I guess it's a matter of taste. There are several crusting recipes here. I know many swear by Indydeb's recipe. I use one by a lady called Serious_Cakes, that I've made twice now and I'm a big fan! The taste is excellent, the texture is smooth and creamy, and it forms a lovely crust. I am looking forward to baking my next cake and trying the Viva method on a big scale. Did it on cupcakes last weekend and it was GREAT!

saramachen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 7

The wilton buttercream is a crusting buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%