Anyone Else Have This Problem??? I Can't Get This!!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 12:47am by SweetPea0613

lkoenig07 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 11

Last night in my Wilton class (course 1), we did the star & swirl flowers. I kept looking at the picture thinking "wow this looks easy". YEAH RIGHT!!! No matter how many times I try this stupid flowers, I can't get either one to look like the picture!! Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone mastered them yet? And if so, how'd you get it???

10 replies
Deniro Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 11

I have the same problem! I could never get them right! We never went over them in class, I just tried on my own. There was several things I didn't get to learn in class, I was told we won't have time for that! I honestly think that the instructor did'nt know herself.

moxey2000 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 11

Can you post a picture of the things you're referring to? I think that would help us give you a better answer. Thanks!

Audraj Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 11

This is one flower that I have always had trouble with. The only way I can get them to work properly is with royal icing. For me, I need to keep the bag and tip pointed straight down. Keep an even pressure on the piping bag through the entire flower. Other than that, just practice A LOT!

SweetResults Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 11

Don't worry - to this day I can't make a decent drop flower! icon_biggrin.gif You will find other alternatives.

tx_cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 11

Wait until you get to gumpaste. You'll ask yourself why you even bothered with piping flowers!

Melissa0567 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 11

Your not alone. Those are the two flowers that I have trouble with. My swirl flowers never come out right, there is always one or two petals that just don't form right and it is one of the most simple flowers to make. So, I'm with ya. Guess we should kep practicing. Yes wait till you get to gumpaste, you'll love those better.

dl5crew Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 11

I can't make a single flower, not even a rose. icon_redface.gif

7yyrt Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 11

It takes what feels like a funny twist of the wrist for me.

peg818 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 11

If you are having problems with the twist of the wrist, its usually a combination of bending your wrist over and you end up with half the flower looking good the other half looking like crap.

Try placing a piece of waxed paper on to your flower nail place your bag at a 90 degree angle to the nail, Pipe using an even pressure and rotate the nail slowly allowing the petals to form out where you want them. Then stop the pressure on the bag, then lift the bag away.

SweetPea0613 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #11 of 11

I don't think I've mastered it...but it was fairly easy for me. I did a cake with swirl drop flowers on top...heres the link...

They're a lot of fun once you know how to do them

Good luck with it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%