Level, Torte, Fill A Cake?

Decorating By jjandhope Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm by jjandhope

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 4

My cakes are made and have cooled to room temperature on racks. Do I level them now or freeze them first? When do I torte them...at what temperature? Once I have filled them, can they freeze to prepare for frosting?

If someone could send me a step by step order I would be so happy! Ultimately, I plan to cover them in fondant. this is my first try...at EVERYTHING!!

3 replies
Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

Hello jjandhope, Well I'm certainly no expert but the way I do my cakes is after the layers have cooled to room temp I level them and then torte them. After I have torted all layers I fill them with filling, but first make sure you pipe a dam around the edges to keep the filling in. I do not freeze my cakes while preparing the frosting. I usually have the frosting prepared before I start, but if not, the cake should be ok at room temp while you prepare your frosting. Frost your cake as usual. Hope this helps. remember, don't through away your cake scrapes from the leveling and torting, those make great cake balls. Hope this helps you.

Melissa

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4

I'm no expert either. If you wanted info about freezing, I just bake the cakes, cool on racks, then wrap in saran wrap and foil and freeze. I do not torte and fill first, although I have read posts from others who have. I only freeze cakes if I bake them a few days to a 2 weeks ahead. Then I defrost, torte and fill.

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 4

ok, so either way, should torte and fill them unfrozen...
This helps...here I go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%