Referrals??? To Pay Or Not To Pay?

Business By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm by drowsyrn

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 3

I wanted to ask you all how you would handle this situation, but also give you the lowdown on where we live for an informed decision.

Where we live Christening and Baptisms (along with b-days and all else) are BIG business here. I'm talking in the thousands, and I am not including weddings. I worked some with a lady that owns a very upscale shop for Christenings, before I was doing cakes, when I was doing cookies. She sells all the hoopla for the baptisms (there is alot in the Orthodox religion) and bonbonieres & has used my cookies. But she wanted me to sell them to her so low I couldn't make a profit from individually iced/decorated cookies because of the time factor. The way things go here on this very very small island is that "you scratch mine, I'll scratch yours" I can send her people but to her it really doesn't matter because she does so well as it is.

I have given up Nursing to stay home and do two other things that I love- spend time with my son and decorate yummies!

Would you suggest a flat referral fee or a percentage to go to her OR nothing at all, which she won't promote me. What is yall's idea on this?? (I'm a Southern girl at heart, far far away!) icon_cool.gif

Thanks for any help or ideas. There is so much on here for me to learn!

Amy

2 replies
Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 3

So basically your asking how to knock the queen off her high horse. There are many ways. First, and foremost you need a better product. Give your product an honest, and full evaluation. Not a "I want to be better" eval, an honest one.

If your product, and service are better there are some things you can do. From what you wrote I understand money isn't the biggest issue with your target market. If that is true, THEN it's service. You need to make them feel like they are the most important people in the world.

How do you GET those people though. Get friendly with the other service people. icon_biggrin.gif Do taste tests at the hairdressers. The places where the dresses are bought. Things like that.

Mike

drowsyrn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 3

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking for her to refer you or the other way around? Are you going to do cakes and cookies for her or when you send her customers do you want the referral fee? Sorry, just a little confused icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%