Bows: Silly Questions

Decorating By doodledo Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm by doodledo

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 7

Was wondering when you put a bow on top of the cake, when it is time to cut it do you just toss it away?

Do you prefer a gumpaste bow or fondant bow for a beginner?

How long does each one last if I would make it up ahead of time?
TIA
Lori

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 7

Well, if a customer buys a cake with a bow, I don't really know what they do with it. I'd assume toss it. It's likely got buttercream on it which will break down the fondant/gumpaste over time, so toss it is likely the best.

50/50 fondant gumpaste mix. Gives you time to work, but dries hard.

It will last for years if stored carefully.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 7

I use Wilton CandyMelts to make bows. No way are these bows thrown away! You cut freezer paper into 3/4" wide by 6" long strips. Coat the shiny side with melted candy and press the ends together. Lay on a tray covered with waxed paper until they firm up (it only takes minutes). Peel the paper off. Use longer strips to place on the cake (candy side down, naturally) and leave until firm. Peel off the paper. Where the strips intersect is your mid-point for the bow. Use more melted candy to "glue" the loops into place. I usually need about 18 loops to make a nice, full bow. The downside to this bow is that it doesn't tolerate high temperatures, but otherwise, they're quick and easy to make. And like I said, they definitely get eaten!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 7

No questions are silly! Make sure you put rolled up tissue or paper towel in the bows while they are drying so they don't sink. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

doodledo Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much. I will have to try the choc bow, but for now its goin to be fondant/gumpaste.
I was goin tolet the lops hang voer a stick to dry. I guess you are saying to cut roll and stuff with paper towels to dry on their side or lay as if they are on the cake, just not stacked?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 7

I make each loop on a wire and dry them on a dowel, as you mentioned.

doodledo Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry. I can not spell! I just made some fresh salsa from tomatoes out of the garen and I am shoveing them in to fast to even look what I am typing! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%