Buttercream Vs. ?

Decorating By dannee24 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm by dannee24

dannee24 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 13

I have a babyshower cake to make but am on a small budget. Buttercream is a NO. Although I have received many comments on my buttercream about it not being too sweet I've got a customer who doesn't want buttercream. No fondant either. I've heard of Divert sugar but was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I can do. I know that the Divert sugar is suppose to be more expensive. Out of ideas please help.

Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif

12 replies
Iggy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 13

What doesn't she like about buttercream as there are many recipes out there. I would look into that first. Then you can offer her rolled fondant or candy clay which is more like a tootsie roll. Some buttercreams are not as sweet and are creamier using butter vs crisco. Have you ever tried Bettercream? It's made by Rich's and is a cross between whipped cream and cool whip. It whips up stiff enough to make flowers. Check your local cake supplier.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 13

Ask her what she does want and if she has a small budget and doesn't want butter cream I would ask her to pay the price difference.

PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 13

Stabilized whipped cream, or whipped icing, chocolate glaze/ganache, marzipan... just a few alternatives off the top of my head

Malakin Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 13

Does she mean strictly no shortening BC? What about Italian or Swiss meringue BC? I love it and it's not heavy tasting like shortening based. Probably healthier also.

indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 13

I agree with pretty much everyone else on here. If she doens't want BC and if she doens't want fondant, then put it back in her lap and have her tell you exactly what it is she DOES want. And she pays the difference.

If I don't want store brand soda, then I have to pay more for the name brand. Sorry, that's just how it works.

nanahaley Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 13

My daughter-in-law doesn't like fondant or buttercream either. She does like cream cheese icing. Maybe that's an alternative, but definitely more expensive. Good Luck!!!

ebear Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 13

Hi..there is a recipe on here for buttercream but made with marshmallow fluff and butter. Its VERY yummy and you can do a bit of piping with it.

dannee24 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 13

I've never tried Bettercream. I've heard of the Swiss buttercream but I haven't tried that either. The buttercream I make is out of shortening but I add cream to mine... gives it a lighter texture. I think it's great and haven't had any complaints. Basically she just doesn't like the sweetness of the buttercream in general. I'll be going to my local cake supply store tomorrow and will look into the suggestions given. I have two cakes to do this weekend and they are fairly simple ones but I agree will all of you. I should put it back in her lap. I'm going to find out the difference in price and let her decide.

Also wondering how does the bettercream smooth out? Is that the refridgerated one?

Thanks again

kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 13

Rich's Bettercreme and Frostin Pride are brands of non-dairy whipped topping made for decorating cakes.
Many people think they are not as sweet as b'cream but I think it is just as sweet.....it just has a lighter taste/texture.
Both of these are best eaten the same day they are iced.
Both come in semi-fzn liquid, or already whipped form. They usually are found in the fzr section of special shops like some cake supply shops or Gorden's Foods & Smart & Final along w/other wholesale type places.
They come in a carton - like milk. Don't defrost; just spoon out the semi-fzn liquid and whip up.

dannee24 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 13

Ok I went ahead and got the Frostin Pride...I will let you all know how it goes. Do you guys happen to know how well Frostin Pride smooths out or colors. I've heard that it's a little difficult to get the color you need. Lucky for me I'm doing a pink so just a small amount of red should do it. Although I thought it might be a little easier to write and do decorations with BC instead...any suggestions

kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 13

It colors to an very nice pastel just fine. Deep, dark colors not well icon_sad.gif
Actually using just a bit of red really doesn't give you a nice pinkicon_sad.gif
You use the Frostin Pride right from thr fzr - spoon/pour into chilled mixer bowl and whip until it is thick. Be careful, it can be overwhipped. It it is too stiff to pipe thru a cake icer tip or something like a 12 you need to thin it down by hand stirring in some liquid Frostin Pride. Even If you think you can still ice a cake w/it - don't. It will eventually crack and nothing can fix that.
As for piping w/it.....just get it to the right consistency for you and piping is a breeze. Yes, if you really want to you can pipe w/b'cream instead.

dannee24 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 13

Well I've definitely learned that Frost n' Pride is not the way to go if you want a really smooth cake. It's taste is outstanding but stubborn when it comes to getting that smooth look. Both parties were very happy and I will use it again but on something that doesn't require that crisp look. Taste great with fresh strawberries btw.

[url] http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1271388.html[/url]

[url]   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1271389.html[/url]

Constructive criticism encouraged! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%