Coloring Royal Icing Flowers After They Are Made

Decorating By tripleE Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 3:11am by gr8_seamstress

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

I need to make 175 white royal icing flowers for a wedding cupcake tower. The bride would like the leaves tipped in black. (also silver leaves) Any idea how I could go about doing that? I tried painting black food coloring on the tips of dried RI flowers, but it looks weird. Should I try to stripe black inside the decorator bag when I'm making them? Is there such thing as black luster dust? Any ideas? Thanks!!

4 replies
SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #2 of 5

Sorry I can't help. But I too am watching for some advice. Good luck with your order.

Melissa

tripleE Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

Thanks!

tripleE Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #4 of 5

Melissa (SimplyM)--I never got any advice about coloring the royal icing roses. I ended up tipping them with a black food coloring marker. It worked pretty well. Took a lot of time, though (175+ roses). Take a look at the cupcake tower on my posted cake photos. You can see how the roses turned out. Thanks!! Elaine

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #5 of 5

sorry you didn't get advise in time. I did a wedding cake with black RI flowers & white flowers. I hand painted each white flower with black food color & a fine tip brush. Yes it was time consuming, but the effect was well worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%