Urgent Help All You Sugar Cookie Bakers

Baking By nannie Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 12:54am by lisascakes

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 7

hi, all

I usually stick to cakes but am participating in Operation Baking Gals and decided to try sugar cookies. Big problems. icon_sad.gif

Using the NFSC Recipie but my problem is my rolling pin keeps sticking to the dough. I tried greasing with crisco then tried coating with flour but after just one swipe or 2 it starts sticking again.

Your help is appreciated.

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 7

Most people find the dough a bit dry. However, if it is sticky, you can roll it between two sheets of plastic wrap. Once it is evenly rolled, chill it before cutting.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

I make a ton of cookies and here is what I do... I roll out my UN-chilled dough between wax paper. I usually divide the dough in 3 and place a peice of wax paper on the counter (if you have a non-stick fondant mat this will keep it in place, or tape down the ends) then cover the dough with another peice of wax paper. Then I use wooden dowels that you use for doweling cakes and place one on either side and roll your dough out. Using the dowels will give you perfectly even thickness on your cookies and it is easy.

After I do this I place all the dough in the freezer for about 15 mins before cutting.

I hope that helps!

nannie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 7

if I've already chilled it, should I just bring to room temperature before trying to roll out again.

thanks

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #5 of 7

Yes, if your "ball of dough" is chilled, it will be difficult to roll out. Bring the dough to room temp, and roll out between parchment paper or wax paper...this will prevent your rolling pin from sticking. If you don't have wooden dowels to place on either side of your dough (to achieve uniform thickness) try finding some wooden spoons, chopsticks, yardsticks, anything in your kitchen or house that you can place on either side of the dough. Then with parchment on top, roll out the dough. When the rolling pin reaches your
"slats" the dough will automatically become level everywhere! Good luck!

nannie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

thank you everyone.

CC Bakers are the best thumbs_up.gif

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 7

I do about 200 doz per year. I always chill for at least 24 hours - dust the surface that I will be rolling the dough on with flour. I also roll about a hand full of dough in flour so it is all covered. I put some flour on my hand & wipe it down the rolling pin. So every thing has flour on it. I then roll out my dough & cut & bake.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%