Need Advice On How To Place Gumpast Flowers In Cake Please!

Decorating By Bossy Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm by Malakin

Bossy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a flower pot type cake and want to arrange these flowers on top (not arranged yet, just stuck in foam to dry). They are on #20 gage, paper covered wire. Do I stick them directly in the cake, or do I need to insert a singe or multiple straws to stick them in? Have no idea how to do this correctly!!

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 7

The wire should not be inserted directly into the cake. Straws will work nicely to hold the flowers in place.

jjkarm Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

I like to group some of the flowers into pics first. That way you don't have to use as many straws and put so many holes in the cake. Use large straws for the flower pics, the use small coffee stirrers to fill in with single flowers or leaves. HTH

vrmcc1 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 7

I could not see the pic but when I do flowers if they are little and light I put right into cake. If they are bigger I put in a straw and then put the wire into the straw. The heavy flowers will lean and gradually pull the wire through the side of the cake if they are not in a straw.

Bossy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try arranging some in picks as suggested and leaving the smaller fill in's on single wires!

TJCanadian Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 7

Beautiful flowers by the way, I love how the flowers all are complimentary shades of yellow.

Malakin Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7

I put the wires into a floral pick from Wilton filled with fondant so that it helps hold the wires in place and then place this into the cake. Your flowers are beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%