Newbie Here

Decorating By EdibleAttitudes Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm by KrisD13

EdibleAttitudes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 14

Hello,
Recently I started playing with fondant and using the Ballina fondant. Im not sure if Im doing something wrong but I cant make bows or anything that needs to stand. It seems like it doesnt stiffen. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to stiffen the fondant.

Also, anyone know of a good place to plearn how to make decorations? I made my first cake this weekend but I just wanted happy with it.
Thanks everyone!
Love the board
Dawn icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

13 replies
Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to CC, get ready to become addicted very quickly.

I try to use gumpaste when I want to do a standup bow, it dries a lot stiffer and quicker than fondant. I'm not familiar with the fondant brand that you mentioned, so I can't offer any input on that. I couldn't see your picture, that seems to be a problem here sometimes.

Are there any Michael's Crafts in your area? They offer Wilton classes, it's a good place to start.

Good Luck,
Deb

EdibleAttitudes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 14

Hi Deb,
Thanks so much, I think Im going to try the gumpaste. Someone else told me the same thing you did. The fondant just doesnt seem like its will stiffen hard enough. I have a Michaels by me and wouldnt you know I missed the Class #3 and have to wait 6 weeks for the next sign up. Figures icon_surprised.gif I have been making regular cakes for years and I just started with fondant enough that I have 3 cakes lined up in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks so much again and the warm welcome. thumbs_up.gif

angelatx Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 14

I think your cake is very prettifamous!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dmhart Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 14

Welcome Dawn!!! icon_razz.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 14

Welcome!

Your fondant cut outs look thick to me... I make mine 1/16 inch. But this is just preference. So maybe your fondant is too thick and causing it to fall?

For the bows I stuff mine with dusted paper towels and let dry overnight if possible. I attached a photo of the first bow I did. Good Luck!

Also I have heard of Tylose (sp) being added to fondant and gumpaste to make it dry harder. Or mixing half gumpaste half fondant.
LL

EdibleAttitudes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #7 of 14

Hi everyone!
WOW thumbs_up.gif thanks for all the replies and you al have helped unbelievably!
Angelatx: I love the word prettifamous!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes as well icon_biggrin.gif

terrylee Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #8 of 14

Hi EdibleAttitudes....

Welcome to CC........Oh this site is addicting......
Great first time fondant........Michael's is a good place to start for lessons in fondant... Also take a look at ...AtecoUSA there is a video on applying fondant.....pretty helpful.....if no time for classes....also Utube has some.

Good luck and Welcome......

Win Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:41am
post #10 of 14

Gumpaste bows are my first preference. However, I've made plenty of fondant bows as well. Thickness is a factor and how you dry it is as well. The paper towel suggestion works well, or slipping bubble wrap in between the loops works well too. Tylose added to the fondant is great. Michele Foster's fondant seems to dry better than MMF if one is making it from scratch.

angelatx Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:38am
post #11 of 14

Thnx edibleattitudes, hehe icon_biggrin.gif love cute positive words, even if they are made up, hehe! you know you are braver than myself to make a cake of fondant, i have yet to do that. it seems so scary. i am in the process of moving, so after the move i will try to make my first fondant cake. wish me luck, cuz i will for sure need it, hehehehe! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:04am
post #12 of 14

Welcome to CC....... You are going to LOVE it here...... icon_lol.gif

EdibleAttitudes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatx

Thnx edibleattitudes, hehe icon_biggrin.gif love cute positive words, even if they are made up, hehe! you know you are braver than myself to make a cake of fondant, i have yet to do that. it seems so scary. i am in the process of moving, so after the move i will try to make my first fondant cake. wish me luck, cuz i will for sure need it, hehehehe! icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck angel, you can do it!! thumbs_up.gif I love wokring with Fondant much more then just making a regular cake, they look amazing.. I brought the first cake I made to work because it was my bosses birthday (no no not kissin butt, shes my best friend for years, hehehe) And I have about 15 more orders for cakes tha tI have to sit with everyone and go over what they want! I love it! icon_lol.gif Good luck! You'll do PRETTIFAMOUS work too.. hehehehe

Thank you eveyrone for all your help, you'll be seeing me more often on here. My goodness this site is VERY addicting!

Thanks all icon_biggrin.gif

KrisD13 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 14

Welcome to CC! You will soon be addicted, just like the rest of us! icon_razz.gif

Kristine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%