Anyone Travel To Mexico City....few Concerns

Lounge By FeGe_Cakes Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 2:20am by FeGe_Cakes

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

I was curious if anyone has traveled to Mexico City. Especially women. I might have to travel for business purposes and heard there are a lot of guidelines to travel and be safe. I will be going to the business part of Mexico City, but have read about the crime alerts there.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

P.S. I will be flying from the States.

6 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 7

I never felt unsafe in Mexico City, but I was really unpleasantly surprised by all the beggars, especially children. They camped out outside the front doors of anywhere touristy.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 7

I know Cancun is not the same as Mexico City. But yes, I was also surprised by the children beggars. We seen one child on a bus around 12 or 1 o'clock a.m.

Do you know Spanish? I can do better with reading, but my conversational Spanish is lacking. Just wonder if you felt more comfortable if you knew the language.

We have heard bad experiences at my job (but some of those people were not using common sense). (e.g. Wearing a Rolex watch)

I just heard you should not flag down a Taxi from the airport or on the street, that it is dangerous. And you should not adventure out after hours.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #4 of 7

I don't speak or read much Spanish at all, but it doesn't really matter down there. As long as you use your head you should be fine. Have a good trip!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 7

I finished my Spanish major in Mexico (Cuernavaca) and was fortunate enough to spend time in and about Mexico DF... I loved being there and have been back and taken my then 18 year old sister to DF on one trip. It really comes down to just being careful. Always take taxis from the hotel or use the radio taxi service they recommend. I'd highly suggest you stay away from the subway. The nicer areas of the city are quite safe, but always be aware of where you are and look around. Pick pockets are often out and about (espcially on the subway!!!). Any nice jewelry should be left home in the states.. if you must wear a wedding or engagement ring, turn it around so it looks like a plain band. Make copies of your passport and carry those so that you don't risk losing the actual document.

If you need a hotel the Presidente Intercontinental has a special floor reserved for female travelers and they have great taxi/tour services. It's in a nice area- the President's home is just a few blocks away and can be seen from the upper floors. It's across the street from Chapultepec and the National Auditorium, and just a few blocks from the Museum of Anthropology. There are many restaurants/stores/ boutiques with in walking distance.

These are just some things off the top of my head... please feel free to pm/email me.... I LOVE Mexico!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

Bijoudelanuit,

Thank you so very much! I will pm you tommorrow when I get the address.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%