First Time Making Royal Icing!!??

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm by MeliaJ

MeliaJ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 4

I made royal icing on Friday night for the first time, I used the recipe from Wilton. It seemed EXTEREMLY thick, I wanted to pipe a design onto wax paper than apply to a cake later. I kept adding water to get it to a consistency to put in a pastry bag. I got a few piped and after they hardened they just broke apart when taking them off the wax paper.

I dont know if I made the icing wrong or what? Any ideas?

3 replies
tracycakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 4

Royal icing needs to be mixed a long time - at least 10 mintues. After the ingredients are "together", continue mixing for 10 minutes or so and the consistency changes. Since you said it was thick, it probably just had not mixed long enough and when you added water, you thinned it too much and it was weak. If you try to pipe it and it seems too thick, try thinning it just slightly with some piping gel to give it some body.

kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 4

..........they just broke apart when taking them off the wax paper. .......

Next time, along w/what Tracy said, make them on plastic wrap instead of wax paper. The will come off *much* easier.

Several things I found making royal:
Use real warm water .... it will mix up much faster.
Time of mixing is very important. Using warm water will reduce that; if using a hand-held mixer it definately takes 10 minutes. If using a KA you probably can get by w/6 or 7 (at least w/mine it did).

MeliaJ Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both! You are right, I did not mix long enough. I will give it a try again. I have a hand mixer, maybe it's time to invest in a KA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%