16 Dozen Chocolate Covered Oreos?? Help!!

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 4:21am by jessicad530

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 113

Ok, so I have the molds for the oreos - but I'm stumped on how to figure out how much melting chocolate to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure this out??

Any help would be great!! Thanks!

112 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 113

I've never used the molds - just dipped the cookie into melted choco.
I'm betting about 2-4 pounds. It goes quick icon_smile.gif Melt about 1/4 to 1/2 # at a time; you still may need to remelt before you use it all.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 113

One package (14oz) melts will yield about 16 cookies with a mold. I have the four hole cookie molds and I can do four molds with one bag.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 113

Honestly you are going to need a lot. You might try looking for the confectionary coating that comes in big blocks (ghiradelli makes some. I bought it at sam's). I made some oreos last christmas and I was surprised how much choc was needed. Go for the double stuffed oreos to use a wee bit less! I don't remember exactly how much, but the above poster probably has it about right.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 113

See said 16 dozen Oreos. wow!

And what are these molds? I'v just dipped them.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 113

The molds are from Spinningleaf.com - they have some great patterns - absolutley adorable!

Great idea to use the double stuffed to use less chocolate!!!

Thanks guys, I'm off to Sam's tonight!

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #7 of 113

LOL So funny - I am making mine right now for favors for my daughter's bday party icon_lol.gif I have to say - I don't know what mold you have, but there is no way my mold could do a double stuff. Too big, at least to get the chocolate all the way around without touching or breaking through. I think dipping would have been easier, but not as uniform for me. I hate this. I would rather make a three tiered cake iced in buttercream with fondant and gumpaste decorations anyday. I tried my hand first at the new fairytale mold for laollipops from wilton - ARE YOU CANDYMAKERS INSANE??? It took me 45 minutes to get all the different colors on and then finish it off with white chocolate. How do you all do it?? I scrapped that and now they are getting all blue, purrple or pink pops with chocolate coated oreos!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #8 of 113

. . . here is a tutorial on the molds . . . spinningleaf has several great molds for oreos . . . http://www.spinningleaf.com/tutorials/chocolate-covered-oreos/index.php . . . and the link for the molds themselves . . . http://www.spinningleaf.com/cookie-molds/index.php

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 113

I don't use anything but the plain molds now. The other are cute but way too much work for the amount of cookies I make for family and friends during the holidays. I still like using a mold for a perfectly shaped cookie every time. I just pop out the set cookies on wire racks set over waxed paper and drizzle colored chocolate evenly over them adding sprinkles as I go, and top some of them with a pre-made icing decoration. I get holiday looking cookies without all the extra work.
The molds however do vary in depth depending on where you buy them.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #10 of 113

Oh my....my hubby is in heaven....Now he wants me to get some molds to try this out for him. He would be happy to let me perfect that technique for him...

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 113

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

I had NO IDEA that such a thing was made! I've never even thought of covering Oreos in chocolate! My Fiane and his dad go through a container of Oreos every week. I'd be willing to bet that they'd LOVE these things!

This is why I love CC. It's official. I'm addicted icon_smile.gif

Good luck Jessieb578. I hope they turn out great.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 113

I buy the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate dipping chocolate bar at Sam's (stocking up over the holidays, because that's the only time I can get them). I ALWAYS use the DoubleStuffs, as it would be too much chocolate otherwise (and I love chocolate!). I just made a bunch using the Cool Mint DoubleStuffs, and I want to say I used 1.5 pounds of chocolate for 24-30 Oreos. I'd buy a lot of chocolate if I were you...at least 10 to 12 pounds. Whatever you don't use, it will keep. I'm heading to WalMart this weekend to buy some of the new Oreos...banana cream...they sound yummy!

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 113

Wow, I had no idea that cookie molds existed! Last Christmas I hand-dipped Trader Joe's peppermint Oreo-type cookies (available seasonally) in melted Wilton chocolate wafers. Once they were dry, I drizzled them with peppermint flavored thinned royal icing. They were to die for, and didn't take too much effort. I checked out the molds, though, and they might be nice for a special occasion.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:42am
post #14 of 113

Oh wow! These are great!! I'm ordering mine right now!! These would make perfect Christmas gifts for co-workers. Thanks for sharing the link!!

dragonflydreams Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:23am
post #15 of 113

. . . my pleasure . . . have fun . . . icon_biggrin.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:25am
post #16 of 113

okay... I might be stupid here but how do you use these molds??? I love them and they would be great wedding favors or Christmas gifts but I am confused on how the molds are used?? Do you put a cookie in the mold and pour?? How does the patter show up in a different color??? Call me stupid here but I have to ask!!!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #17 of 113

I'm not sure how I found this string since I was searching for cheesecake wedding cake tips, but I am SO glad I did. I have petit four molds that I love, but the Oreo's and Nutter Butter's will be a lot less work and probably more popular than my petit fours. I ordered just over $50 and got free shipping, which meant one more mold to me.

Thanks for sharing Spinningleaf.com. I never would have found it without CC.

Martha

dragonflydreams Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #18 of 113

. . . if you go back to my first post in this thread there is a tutorial . . . icon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 113

Wow, did you see they have a NutterButter mold.
Thank you dragonflydreams for the links. I have some of the oreo molds, but I'm definately getting the NutterButter mold!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #20 of 113

Some where in the cookie forum there is another thread that talks about the oreos to . I love these molds and have several different designs but I like the plan ones just as well because you can drizzle on top or decorat how ever you like to !

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #21 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

okay... I might be stupid here but how do you use these molds??? I love them and they would be great wedding favors or Christmas gifts but I am confused on how the molds are used?? Do you put a cookie in the mold and pour?? How does the patter show up in a different color??? Call me stupid here but I have to ask!!!

I have a cookie mold with a snowflake pattern. I started by making the snowflake in light blue chocolate (wait for it to dry) added white chocolate to cover the bottom of the mold (wait for it to dry) add the Oreo, then add more white chocolate (wait for it to dry). I got tried of that after the first half dozen cookies. I finished the batch by just dipping them in white chocolate then sprinkled edible glitter on them before they dried.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #22 of 113
Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #23 of 113

I do a lot of Oreos dipped in chocolate and also useing the molds. You will use more chocolate with the molds but you get a more professional look this way. Some of the people that did a sampling for me felt it was almost too much chocolate this way, but to each his own. I don't think threre is such a thing as too much chocolate!!!!

When I dip, I extend my chocolate by adding an equal amount of Nestle semi sweet chips to a bag of Merkens dipping wafers, plus 1/4 bar of food grade paraffin wax and 1 square (1oz.) of unsweetened baking chocolate. I like the finish that I get and also the fact that I can handle the pieces without leaving fingerprints. I haven't tried this in the molds but will this season.

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #24 of 113

I want to try these! I have never really worked with chocolate. Just made a few decorations using the melts. Used CK brand. I would like to use "real" good chocolate. Is the Ghirardelli someone mentioned the best to use? I want a chocolate that is easy to use, sets up well, tastes good. Guess I don't want much, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks, Jonna

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #25 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudoo

I want to try these! I have never really worked with chocolate. Just made a few decorations using the melts. Used CK brand. I would like to use "real" good chocolate. Is the Ghirardelli someone mentioned the best to use? I want a chocolate that is easy to use, sets up well, tastes good. Guess I don't want much, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks, Jonna

The Ghirardelli bars that I get from Sam's are "dipping" chocolate, and not "real" chocolate, but it tastes sinfully good! It sets up well, too. Best of all is that you don't have to temper it, as it isn't real chocolate.

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #26 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1170703
Here are some I did last Christmas !

Fiddle--Those look beautiful. I might get some molds to make the cookies for my playgroups Holiday Cookie X-change. What kind of chocolate did you use?

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #27 of 113

omg the molds are soooo awesome!! i'm excited to try them!!

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #28 of 113

What do you all charge for oreos? I genreally do $1 a piece and $2 for the molded ones.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #29 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

I do a lot of Oreos dipped in chocolate and also useing the molds. You will use more chocolate with the molds but you get a more professional look this way. Some of the people that did a sampling for me felt it was almost too much chocolate this way, but to each his own. I don't think threre is such a thing as too much chocolate!!!!

I love chocolate, but I'm one of those people that found the chocolate/cookie ratio too high when I used the cookie molds.

I like to dip the double-stuff mint Oreos in Merkens milk chocolate.

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #30 of 113

Jocmom, where do you get Merlins brand?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%